Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Better Wi-Fidelity

Better Wi-Fidelity

dwacôn

My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone told
me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help direct the
signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in it, is this true?
Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in advance.

--
These ain't Mentos... but they'll freshen your breath!
http://tinyurl.com/cr5ka

why?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:

>My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone told

The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?

Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
settings / distance / obstructions.

>me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help direct the
>signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in it, is this true?
>Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in advance.

www.google.com

There are all sorts of different areial, range extenders, flatenna , lan
antennas, wifi homemade antenna , boosting wireless signal.

All of the above work well in a google search.

There are quite a few site with homemade and commercial products.

Me

Toolman Tim

why? wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:
>
>> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception.
>> Someone told

> The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
>
> Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
> settings / distance / obstructions.

You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

<snip>

Scraggy

dwacôn wrote:
> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone
> told me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help
> direct the signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in
> it, is this true? Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in
> advance.

Google for Cantenna.
members. Groucho Marx

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

dwacôn wrote:
> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception. Someone told
> me that putting a wire strainer around the antenna will help direct the
> signal. Before I ruin my strainer by punching a hole in it, is this true?
> Is there any other way to boost performance? Thanks in advance.

http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/
This is probably what your friend was thinking of, certainly not as
simple as placing a wire strainer around the antenna, although
theoretically that might help. More reliable research has been done with
WiFi reflectors. Google that up. Or go to www.freeantennas.com

dwacôn

news:32EZe.14634$(E-Mail Removed)...
> why? wrote:
>> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:47:00 -0400, dwacôn wrote:
>>
>>> My wireless router only gets arond 30% (marginal) reception.
>>> Someone told

>> The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
>>
>> Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
>> settings / distance / obstructions.

> You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG FEET who
paces her floor at night.

Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the antenna in
the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16% and could not
connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the quadrant of the first
floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal shows it wavering between
28% andf 26%.

There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that can
interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a grain of
salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).

Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

Toolman Tim

dwacôn wrote:
> news:32EZe.14634$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> why? wrote:

>>> The router reception is 30% or the device connecting?
>>>
>>> Let's see no mention of wi-fi router brand or model / wap / signal
>>> settings / distance / obstructions.

>> You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

> Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
> FEET who paces her floor at night.
>
> Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
> antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
> and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
> quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal
> shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
>
> There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that
> can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a
> grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
>
> Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and especially
if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any way to relocate the
router?

dwacôn

news:rP1_e.11291$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dwacôn wrote:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:32EZe.14634$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> You'd think he'd know better than that...he's not a newbie.

>> Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
>> FEET who paces her floor at night.
>>
>> Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
>> antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
>> and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
>> quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring signal
>> shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
>>
>> There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard that
>> can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear" with a
>> grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
>>
>> Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

> I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and especially
> if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any way to relocate
> the router?

I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router down the
staircase...

--

dwacôn wrote:
> news:rP1_e.11291$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> dwacôn wrote:
>>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:32EZe.14634$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Right, not a newbie -- but sleep deprived. Got a neighbor with BIG
>>> FEET who paces her floor at night.
>>>
>>> Anyway, it is a D-Link DI-624 mounted on the 2nd floor. With the
>>> antenna in the normal (up) position, reception was low at around 16%
>>> and could not connect. With the antenna is pointed towards the
>>> quadrant of the first floor where the receiver is. Monitoring
>>> signal shows it wavering between 28% andf 26%.
>>>
>>> There is a wireless phone base on the 1st floor and I have heard
>>> that can interfere with WiFi -- but I tend to take things I "hear"
>>> with a grain of salt (otherwise, I'd have ruined my strainer).
>>>
>>> Will GOOGLE for Cantenna. Thanks.

>> I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and
>> especially if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any
>> way to relocate the router?

> I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router
> down the staircase...

Hee hee - sounds like my place! Used to have a 50 footer to the back room
that I had to roll up every time people came to visit ;o)

dwacôn

news:z7l_e.17531$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dwacôn wrote:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:rP1_e.11291$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> I'd bet it's the floor: floors are MUCH thicker than walls, and
>>> especially if the system has to receive on a diagonal. Is there any
>>> way to relocate the router?

>> I could go out and buy a 100 foot RJ-45 cable and snake the router
>> down the staircase...

> Hee hee - sounds like my place! Used to have a 50 footer to the back room
> that I had to roll up every time people came to visit ;o)

Well, I just ordered a D-Link ANT24-0801 Mid Gain Antenna -- that shud solve
the problem. I hope.

--
For DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES only...
http://tinyurl.com/aqszm