Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PCAnywhere host on SBS 2003 Server will not allow connections thru linksys router

PCAnywhere host on SBS 2003 Server will not allow connections thru linksys router

Ed

I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
internal ip address and port 5631.
when I enter internally on the network no problem.
When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
I have the SBS firewall shut off...
Any ideas ?

Thank you in Advance

Ed

why?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:01:25 GMT, Ed wrote:

>I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
>listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
>Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
>internal ip address and port 5631.
>when I enter internally on the network no problem.

So you have portforwarding set on some device, which isn't important
enough to mention? (or the version of PCA)

>When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
>I have the SBS firewall shut off...
>Any ideas ?

Posted in 24HSHD before,
http://www.portforward.com/
lists 2 ports for PCA.

this has also been posted before
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._port_list.htm
and lists the same 2 ports.

This seemed fairly obvious, but if the 1st two from,
didn't strike you that way, then this is even tougher,

www.google.com
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 58,100 English pages for
pcanywhere port forwarding
(0.21 seconds)

and this symantec article, the 1st hit
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=
or shorter
http://makeashorterlink.com/?J47652CDB

Me

Ed

All of this has been done, chjeked and rechecked , It still doesnt
work.
two different model linksys routers have been tried, PCA v 11.5

I am quite familar with port forwarding.

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:51:18 GMT, why?

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:01:25 GMT, Ed wrote:
>
>>I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
>>listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
>>Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
>>internal ip address and port 5631.
>>when I enter internally on the network no problem.

>So you have portforwarding set on some device, which isn't important
>enough to mention? (or the version of PCA)
>
>>When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
>>I have the SBS firewall shut off...
>>Any ideas ?

>Posted in 24HSHD before,
>http://www.portforward.com/
>lists 2 ports for PCA.
>
>this has also been posted before
>http://www.practicallynetworked.com/..._port_list.htm
>and lists the same 2 ports.
>
>This seemed fairly obvious, but if the 1st two from,
>http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
>didn't strike you that way, then this is even tougher,
>
>www.google.com
>Web Results 1 - 10 of about 58,100 English pages for
>pcanywhere port forwarding
>(0.21 seconds)
>
>and this symantec article, the 1st hit
>http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...&osv=&osv_lvl=
>or shorter
>http://makeashorterlink.com/?J47652CDB
>
>Me

why?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:26:45 GMT, Ed wrote:

>All of this has been done, chjeked and rechecked , It still doesnt
>work.

<nicked from an old post>
As mentioned before the following words apply -
battery , crystal , flat and ball.

It's nice to know before that you tries a few things, it may show you
put some thought into solving your problem first.

>two different model linksys routers have been tried, PCA v 11.5

So then here are other things you would have already tried / eliminated
as an issue.

Something other than a Linksys.

Without the Linksys, so 1 PC is directly connected to the ISP and you
don't need to forward anything, prove it works with the least devices in
the way. If that works then it's maybe a Linksys issue.

Your ISP blocks some ports?

Check Linksys support / firmware upgrades.

>I am quite familar with port forwarding.

However all the links refer to 2 ports so it's assumed in your OP you
simply forgot to mention the 2nd port and your 'done, chjeked and
rechecked' included the 2nd port.

Packet sniffer, have you tried that?

It's also assumed the external connection isn't you trying to get from
your private LAN IP back out to the public IP and back in again but you
are doing this across / from a totally different ISP?

>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 18:51:18 GMT, why?
>

>>On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:01:25 GMT, Ed wrote:
>>
>>>I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
>>>listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
>>>Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
>>>internal ip address and port 5631.
>>>when I enter internally on the network no problem.

>>So you have portforwarding set on some device, which isn't important
>>enough to mention? (or the version of PCA)
>>
>>>When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
>>>I have the SBS firewall shut off...
>>>Any ideas ?

>>Posted in 24HSHD before,
>>http://www.portforward.com/
>>lists 2 ports for PCA.

<snip>

Me

FML

Ed wrote:
> I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
> listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
> Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
> internal ip address and port 5631.
> when I enter internally on the network no problem.
> When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
> I have the SBS firewall shut off...
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thank you in Advance
>

> Ed

IIRC, 192.168.1.102 is in the default DHCP range for Linksys routers
(192.168.1.100 - 150). Have you tried giving the SBS server a static IP
address outside the DHCP range (i.e. 192.168.1.200) and forward your
ports to that address?

why?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 16:38:47 -0500, FML wrote:

>Ed wrote:
>> I have a SBS 2003 server with PCanywhere installed, host mode
>> listening on port 5631. I can enter internally (192.168.1.102)
>> Externally I have port forwarding set to forward to port 5631 to the
>> internal ip address and port 5631.
>> when I enter internally on the network no problem.
>> When I enter the external ip, it times out with no connection.
>> I have the SBS firewall shut off...
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> Thank you in Advance
>>

>> Ed

>IIRC, 192.168.1.102 is in the default DHCP range for Linksys routers
>(192.168.1.100 - 150). Have you tried giving the SBS server a static IP
>address outside the DHCP range (i.e. 192.168.1.200) and forward your
>ports to that address?

The OP wouldn't have done that, it's 1 of the normal things to be done
when doing port forwarding.

Me

Bruce T. Berger

You need 5631 and 5632.