Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > need pc suggestions for scsi

need pc suggestions for scsi

ABS

I'm looking to put together a pc that will be a high end gaming machine
along with multitasking etc. So I been thinking of wanting SCSI 320 and a
15k rpm drive for the OS and apps, an ide dvdrw drive and sata 160mb seagate
ncq drive for backup. was curious if say a Fujitsu 15k 74gb or 36gb as the
main drive for the OS and stuff would work well with windows xp pro? I don't
know what scsi card to get since there's a lot of options. this won't be
scsi raid ever, just the single hard drive. The mobo will be an Asus A8N sli
deluxe or maybe not the deluxe. the cpu will be the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
4200+ with 1gb dual channel ddr ram along with a GF6800 type video card. I
am thinking of getting all this from newegg for a total cost around $2600
for everything.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

ABS wrote:
> I'm looking to put together a pc that will be a high end gaming machine
> along with multitasking etc. So I been thinking of wanting SCSI 320 and a
> 15k rpm drive for the OS and apps, an ide dvdrw drive and sata 160mb seagate
> ncq drive for backup. was curious if say a Fujitsu 15k 74gb or 36gb as the
> main drive for the OS and stuff would work well with windows xp pro? I don't
> know what scsi card to get since there's a lot of options. this won't be
> scsi raid ever, just the single hard drive. The mobo will be an Asus A8N sli
> deluxe or maybe not the deluxe. the cpu will be the AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core
> 4200+ with 1gb dual channel ddr ram along with a GF6800 type video card. I
> am thinking of getting all this from newegg for a total cost around $2600
> for everything.

I built a very similar machine for video editing, same processor, same
type of memory, but went with a plain old EIDE 300 GB system drive. Also
threw in a 200 GB drive I've been using for a couple of years. It works
fine for my purposes. But since you mentioned "high end gaming" you are
no doubt aware that AMD themselves do not recommend the dual processor
chips because none of the game makers are fine tuning their games for
this. They recommend the FX line of processors, which are fine tuned for
gaming.

Oh, and I'm using XP PRO 64 bit. It works fine too except some programs
do *not* perform any better on this machine that they do on my old AMD
2000 because they are neither aware of 64 bit operating systems nor do
they know how to deal with dual processors. A few programs won't run at
all. Some hardware won't install, no drivers available. But enough stuff
works great that I'm satisfied with it.