Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Which is the better firewall, ZoneAlarm or Symantec?

Which is the better firewall, ZoneAlarm or Symantec?

Edmonton_Guy@usenet.com

Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
security software?
I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall eats up
more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily mean it's a worse
program?

Thanks,

Edmonton_Guy
-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Darren3

Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote message

> Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best
> firewall security software?
> I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall
> eats up more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily
> mean it's a worse program?

Outpost.
http://www.agnitum.com/products/outp...e/download.php

Blinky the Shark

Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
> security software?

Kerio.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Kenneth

On 25 Sep 2005 01:44:37 GMT, Blinky the Shark
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
>> security software?

>Kerio.

Howdy,

Few reading this know less than I about Firewalls, but...

I had ZA installed on a few of our systems and had
incredible networking difficulties even when it was OFF.

Eventually, we uninstalled Zone Alarm and our networking
problems were resolved.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

no_fancy_name

zonealarm is the better firewall.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
> > Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
> > security software?

> Kerio.
>

> --
> Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
> Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

Blinky the Shark

no_fancy_name wrote:

> zonealarm is the better firewall.

I'm using iptables and shorewall, since you saw fit to respond to my
post and not OPs.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Walter Mautner

Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone could tell me which is the best firewall
> security software?
> I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall eats up
> more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily mean it's a worse
> program?
>
> Thanks,

Suppose you are running XP - then the XP builtin firewall shall suffice. It
does the basic functions (blocking incoming requests that are not related
to outgoing ones) just fine.
Everything else is not a firewall anymore, instead it's cheatable and
exploitable but leaves the user in wrong feeling of security, spiced with
occasional warnings, most of them just like useless information.

No desktop firewall can reliably distinguish the http request initiated by a
trojan you got via mail or active x download from a hostile website,
opening a tunnel, still using ms windows standard connection services, from
a legit websearch.
to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.fdns.net 2.6.13-mm3[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

elaich

Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in news:lAaZe.547971
$s54.120334@pd7tw2no:

> I've always heard that Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall eats up
> more memory than ZoneAlarm but does that necessarily mean it's a worse
> program?

Never install anything from Symantec on your computer if you don't want big
problems.

Edmonton_Guy@usenet.com

I've been hearing that a lot about both Zonelabs & Symantec
products... Ahh well. Speaking of Symantec problems, I recently got
Norton AV 2005 and installed it on my system and have a drive cleaner
that I like to use to clean up and get rid of empty directories. It
cleaned up Norton's directories and erased empty ones and next thing I
know I got all these errors "Norton Antivirus 2005 does not support
the repair features" so I looked into it and I was getting all these
errors because I deleted some EMPTY dirs in the Quarantine dir. I
guess the same thing happens if you move the nav shortcuts on the
start menu as well... For av I have to say that I'll stick with Norton
though, it's always cleaned anything I've ever had. But I'll take your
advice and stay away from it's firewall then,