Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ok this is a different one concerning 2 hard drives

Ok this is a different one concerning 2 hard drives

bdeditch

My daughter gave me a computer. When I got home I took the cover off
and noticed that it hard 2 hard drives, a Western Digital WD200BB and a
Maxtor 53073H4, only the maxtor was hooked up, well it seems that both
have Windows ME on them so of course there is a conflict if I try to
have both of them on the computer. My question is , is there any way to
completely delete the contents of the Maxtor and use it for storage.
Would I have to switch the hook up and delete the contents and try to
install it as a new hard drive?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

bdeditch wrote:
> My daughter gave me a computer. When I got home I took the cover off
> and noticed that it hard 2 hard drives, a Western Digital WD200BB and a
> Maxtor 53073H4, only the maxtor was hooked up, well it seems that both
> have Windows ME on them so of course there is a conflict if I try to
> have both of them on the computer. My question is , is there any way to
> completely delete the contents of the Maxtor and use it for storage.
> Would I have to switch the hook up and delete the contents and try to
> install it as a new hard drive?

There is no logical reason for there to be a conflict simply because
both have WinME installed, the computer will boot from the C: drive and
that is that. If you have the jumpers set correctly, assuming they're
both on the same data ribbon, the one you want to be the boot drive
should be at the end of the cable and jumpered to "Master" or at least
at the end of the cable and be set to "Cable Select. The other drive
should be in the middle of the cable and set to either "Slave" or "Cable
Select". Once you successfully boot up, it's your option to format the
slave drive or delete selected items.