Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Is it possible to have more than 4 hard drives?

Is it possible to have more than 4 hard drives?

Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
Thanks,
Tony

Rick Merrill

t wrote:

> Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
> computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
> burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
> drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
> regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
> Thanks,
> Tony

Sure, but it depends on YOUR hardware (i.e. probably NOT) and software
(probably you can mount more than two dozen 'drives' connected via USB, etc.

JIm

t wrote:
> Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
> computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
> burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
> drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
> regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
> Thanks,
> Tony

You can install addon cards into the PCI bus slot and have additional
ATA or SATA Ports Normally called host adaptors.
\or the expensive way would be to get a SCSI Interface card and get a
few SCSI hard drives hooked up. Or easy peeZy - way take out say x1 Rom
drive -Install into a 3.5" usb/2 or firewire drive enclosure and plug n go.

Lots of different options if you do add more drives etc :
(Make sure your power supply can cope)

I was hoping to install a controller card rather than getting a case
plus usb connection for device

Rick Merrill wrote:

> t wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
>> computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
>> burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
>> drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
>> regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
>> Thanks,
>> Tony

> Sure, but it depends on YOUR hardware (i.e. probably NOT) and software
> (probably you can mount more than two dozen 'drives' connected via USB,
> etc.

dadiOH

t wrote:
> I was hoping to install a controller card rather than getting a case
> plus usb connection for device

So do it, cards are cheap.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

JANA

Most mother boards will support up to 4 drives through the IDE ports. If
your mother board supports ATA type drives, then you can add more, but they
must be the ATA type that is supported by the mother board. You can also add
a controller card if this is necessary.

Windows can directly control up to 24 hard drive type devices.

An easy solution is to consider a firewire or network type drive. This gives
you the flexibility of the drive being portable.

--

JANA
_____

"t" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b2zYe.4834$(E-Mail Removed)...
Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
Thanks,
Tony

George

t wrote:
> Is it possible to run more than 4 hard drives or cds or dvd on a
> computer? i have recently installed a dvd burner, have an existing cd
> burner, and have a read only cd presently disconnected, and 2 hard
> drives. Can I install a controller card? I would like to use the
> regular cd for every day use, and the burners for burning only.
> Thanks,
> Tony

I have 4 hard drives and 2 dvd burners. 2 hard drives and 2 burners
connected to the motherboard ide connectors, and 2 hard drives connected to
a plug in card. XP adds drive letters in sequence so I have C and D hard
drives, E and F dvd burners, and then G and H as hard drives.