Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Laptop makes siren noise on boot-up

Laptop makes siren noise on boot-up

Mikester71

My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish

After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.

Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I
said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
boot-up.

TIA,
Mike

why?

On 21 Sep 2005 08:53:28 -0700, Mikester71 wrote:

>My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left

At power on? At the BIOS info screen? After 'starting windows'? After
the initial Windows logo?

>it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish

It wouldn't matter what make / model the laptop is? You didn't say so it
may not be important.

>After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
>to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
>phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
>siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.
>
>Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
>trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I

The manual doesn't mention anything?

>said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
>boot-up.
>
>TIA,
>Mike

Me

Wal

Two tone siren on my computer with an Award Bios means a cpu failure. It
could be that the
CPU was not seated or maybe it was the damp. Once I set multiplier switches
on my board to a position that the CPU could not use by mistake and that did
it.
The Siren is quite loud. If you do not know what it is it must be quite
disconcerting.

If you know the Bios you should be able to look up the
POST codes/beeps (Power On Self Test) on the internet and find out
what it means on that computer. I think it will probably be the same as on
mine.

You can also check by removing the CPU and booting up to see if it will do
it again
but on laptops the CPU is usually not so simple to remove as it is from a
desktop.

Regards,
Rodney

"Mikester71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
> it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish
>
> After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
> to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
> phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
> siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.
>
> Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
> trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I
> said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
> boot-up.
>
> TIA,
> Mike

Whiskers

On 2005-09-21, Mikester71 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
> it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish
>
> After he had brought back to his house and gave me a call, I told him
> to try turning it on again so that I could hear the noise over the
> phone. When he did, it made the noise but then booted up fine and the
> siren stopped. Windows loaded fine too.
>
> Could it have been from dampness or something from being left in his
> trailer for a week (the weather has been getting cool at night)? As I
> said, it seems to work fine now after the initial siren noise at
> boot-up.
>
> TIA,
> Mike

Condensation was probably involved. There may be something about 'audible
alarms' in the handbook.

--
-- Whiskers

Bill

"Mikester71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My friends laptop keeps making a siren noise during bootup. He had left
> it at his trailer for a week. When he turned it on, it wouldn't finish

Did he buy it from a cop?