Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > HTML Text Wrapping in Outlook

HTML Text Wrapping in Outlook

Tom

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.

Think it's possible?

Thanks,

Tom.

Whiskers

On 2005-09-21, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
> every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
> Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
>
> Think it's possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom.

You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.

If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
what you see anyway.

If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Tom

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

| On 2005-09-21, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
| > Hey guys,
| >
| > I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
| > every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
| > Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
| >
| > Think it's possible?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > Tom.
|
| You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
| recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
| the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
| the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.
|
| If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
| them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
| resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
| what you see anyway.
|
| If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
| your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
| line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.

Thanks, Whiskers

I might have misunderstood you or vice versa; even if I used a fixed
width font, with HTML I'd just be writing on and on, and the line
wouldn't change until I get to the edge of the screen. (I am aware that
depending on the resolution, the line break would take place elsewhere.)

Having no text wrapping at all would not be a problem if I wouldn't
enter new lines manually (by pressing the Enter key). But since I do,
the text on the recipient might get distorted, having for example a
sentence break in the middle, where there's only one word in a line.

For example, your usenet client breaks a line every 75 characters or so.
I want to have the same effect with HTML text in Outlook

Whiskers

On 2005-09-21, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:43:23 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>| On 2005-09-21, Tom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>| > Hey guys,
>| >
>| > I was wondering if any of you knew if it was possible to make text wrap
>| > every -n- characters in a line; just like the Plain Text Wrapping, under
>| > Options -> Mail Format -> Internet Format.
>| >
>| > Think it's possible?
>| >
>| > Thanks,
>| >
>| > Tom.
>|
>| You could try setting a 'fixed width' font. But the settings on the
>| recipient's software may well over-ride your formatting - eg, by displaying
>| the HTML as raw text, or by directing your message unread into the void on
>| the basis that HTML = spam nearly every time.
>|
>| If your intended recipient is amenable to coping with HTML in e-mails, ask
>| them what software and 'fonts' they have installed, and what their screen
>| resolution is, and then use the same yourself, otherwise they may not see
>| what you see anyway.
>|
>| If you want to make assumptions about the width of the 'window' in which
>| your message will be read, you could set a right margin and use 'justified'
>| line-wrap, as you would in a word-processor for paper output.
>
> Thanks, Whiskers
>
> I might have misunderstood you or vice versa; even if I used a fixed
> width font, with HTML I'd just be writing on and on, and the line
> wouldn't change until I get to the edge of the screen. (I am aware that
> depending on the resolution, the line break would take place elsewhere.)
>
> Having no text wrapping at all would not be a problem if I wouldn't
> enter new lines manually (by pressing the Enter key). But since I do,
> the text on the recipient might get distorted, having for example a
> sentence break in the middle, where there's only one word in a line.
>
> For example, your usenet client breaks a line every 75 characters or so.
> I want to have the same effect with HTML text in Outlook

Does the 'formatting' in Outlook include a setting for a 'right margin'?
If so, then using a 'fixed width' font of 10cpi and a right margin of 7.5
inches (or left margin of 1 inch and right margin of 8.5 inches, etc) will
wrap the text at 75 characters - at least, on your display it will; if your
recipient has the same font as you used, available in the same size, then
he will see the word-wrap just the same way as you do - if he uses the same
software and has no personal settings to over-ride your 'formatting'.

Typing a 'return' in your text forces a 'new paragraph'; that is not
recommended as a way to force a line wrap. That's what the margins are for
in a word processor. 'Outlook' is a time-management program with an e-mail
component, so perhaps its HTML isn't that sophisticated.

E-mail and HTML do not mix well. If it's important to you that your
recipient sees something as similar as possible to what you intend, send it
as an attachment in 'portable document format' (.pdf file for Windows
users). The word processor and spreadsheet components of 'Open Office' can
both 'export' files in that format. PDF readers are available freely for
most operating systems.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Tom

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 20:43:57 +0100, Whiskers <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

| Does the 'formatting' in Outlook include a setting for a 'right margin'?
| If so, then using a 'fixed width' font of 10cpi and a right margin of 7.5
| inches (or left margin of 1 inch and right margin of 8.5 inches, etc) will
| wrap the text at 75 characters - at least, on your display it will; if your
| recipient has the same font as you used, available in the same size, then
| he will see the word-wrap just the same way as you do - if he uses the same
| software and has no personal settings to over-ride your 'formatting'.
|
| Typing a 'return' in your text forces a 'new paragraph'; that is not
| recommended as a way to force a line wrap. That's what the margins are for
| in a word processor. 'Outlook' is a time-management program with an e-mail
| component, so perhaps its HTML isn't that sophisticated.
|
| E-mail and HTML do not mix well. If it's important to you that your
| recipient sees something as similar as possible to what you intend, send it
| as an attachment in 'portable document format' (.pdf file for Windows
| users). The word processor and spreadsheet components of 'Open Office' can
| both 'export' files in that format. PDF readers are available freely for
| most operating systems.

Thanks.

To stop text wrapping in an datagrid asp.net 2003 Dan ASP .Net 0 02-25-2005 06:34 AM
AdRotator and Text Wrapping PeteZ ASP .Net 0 12-30-2004 02:33 AM
Thunderbird plain text wrapping Chris Smith Firefox 3 07-02-2004 07:09 PM
Wrapping text Hans P S Alnes Firefox 2 02-23-2004 03:51 AM
ASP.NET label control not wrapping text in non-IE browsers Mike Casey ASP .Net 7 12-19-2003 04:56 PM

Advertisments