Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slow boot up

Slow boot up

Lee Davison

Win 2k, ie6, oe6

Hey all,
My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
chair) while waiting for it to boot.
I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im spyware
and virus free.

Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
always been like this.

I dont know if this helps:

Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
Machine name: XXX
Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
Pack 4
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: GBT___
System Model: GA-7VAXP
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 333MB used, 911MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINNT
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

Thanks
Lee
--
"Okay Scotty, now beam down my clothes."
www.geocities.com/ldavison10

philo

Lee Davison wrote:
> Win 2k, ie6, oe6
>
> Hey all,
> My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
> with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
> chair) while waiting for it to boot.
> I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im spyware
> and virus free.
>
> Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
> always been like this.
>
> I dont know if this helps:
>
> Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
> Machine name: XXX
> Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
> Pack 4

you may have too many apps in startup.
win2k does not have msconfig like most other windows versions...
but if you have access to an XP machine you could copy it over...
it makes editing your startup menu easy...
and most apps can be removed .

otherwise you may google for other easy to use startup managers...

Lee Davison

I have System Mechanic installed which comes with a windows start up
manager. I have 13 applications enabled, and 22 disabled. Does this seem
excessive? Some of the ones which are enabled I do not know what they do eg
NVMediaCenter, SunJavaUpdateSched, NvCplDaemon, Nwiz, TKBellExe.

I could probably disable some of these if I knew what they were!

Thanks for the post,
Lee

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lee Davison wrote:
> > Win 2k, ie6, oe6
> >
> > Hey all,
> > My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
> > with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
> > chair) while waiting for it to boot.
> > I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im

spyware
> > and virus free.
> >
> > Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
> > always been like this.
> >
> > I dont know if this helps:
> >
> > Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
> > Machine name: XXX
> > Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
> > Pack 4
> >

> you may have too many apps in startup.
> win2k does not have msconfig like most other windows versions...
> but if you have access to an XP machine you could copy it over...
> it makes editing your startup menu easy...
> and most apps can be removed .
>
> otherwise you may google for other easy to use startup managers...

Rich Wilson

"Lee Davison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dgpksr$hh0$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Win 2k, ie6, oe6
>
> Hey all,
> My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
> with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
> chair) while waiting for it to boot.

LOL

> I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im
> spyware
> and virus free.

Did your computer get a clean install of Windows or was it an upgrade?
Sometimes upgraded copies of Windows seem to do this sort of thing.

Also, do you have any network cards that aren't actually plugged into a
network? Try disabling them if you do.

vk@cnns.net

I think you have too many apps in startup.
You can carry on an underneath a few steps:
1)"Start"--"Run" enter "regedit" open the regedit.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
search unconventionality programme.
but, it so troublesome, i recommend "Security expert" with you.
it can light loose of resolve these problems,Your needs to be click
"Autorun manage" ,
Not only such, you can go to http://securityexpert.cnns.net/startup.htm
to know more.
The system can also protect you isn't attackstoned with hacker by
virus.
Website: http://securityexpert.cnns.net

philo

Lee Davison wrote:
> I have System Mechanic installed which comes with a windows start up
> manager. I have 13 applications enabled, and 22 disabled. Does this seem
> excessive? Some of the ones which are enabled I do not know what they do eg
> NVMediaCenter, SunJavaUpdateSched, NvCplDaemon, Nwiz, TKBellExe.
>
> I could probably disable some of these if I knew what they were!
>
> Thanks for the post,
> Lee
>

> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Lee Davison wrote:
>>
>>>Win 2k, ie6, oe6
>>>
>>>Hey all,
>>>My computer takes around 4 mins to boot up. Ive taken to bringing a book
>>>with me to read while it does. I once even fell asleep (and fell off the
>>>chair) while waiting for it to boot.
>>>I dont have any major problems / massive files / programs etc and im

> spyware
>
>>>and virus free.
>>>
>>>Any idea how I could speed things up a little, as far as i remember its
>>>always been like this.
>>>
>>>I dont know if this helps:
>>>
>>>Time of this report: 9/20/2005, 19:36:47
>>> Machine name: XXX
>>> Operating System: Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195) Service
>>>Pack 4
>>>

>>you may have too many apps in startup.
>>win2k does not have msconfig like most other windows versions...
>>but if you have access to an XP machine you could copy it over...
>>it makes editing your startup menu easy...
>>and most apps can be removed .
>>
>>otherwise you may google for other easy to use startup managers...

I'd take everything out except your virus checker and firewall

Rich Wilson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I think you have too many apps in startup.
> You can carry on an underneath a few steps:
> 1)"Start"--"Run" enter "regedit" open the regedit.
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce\Setup
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnceEx
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce
> search unconventionality programme.

Yep, that'd work, but why not use the System Configuration Utility? (Start,
Run, type "msconfig" and click OK).