Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Index.dat files, Is it safe to have a program erase *all* of them each shutdown?

Index.dat files, Is it safe to have a program erase *all* of them each shutdown?

Edmonton_Guy@usenet.com

Me again,

I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
without any problems?

I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
computer in your bedroom is spying on you!

Thanks again,

Edmonton_Guy
-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> Me again,
>
> I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
> about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
> won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
> add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
> without any problems?
>
> I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
> computer in your bedroom is spying on you!

I don't know what MS's explanation is for DAT files, but if you stop and
think for a minute, why would any company want to spy on 1,200,000,000
individual people? There's no way to put all that data together to make
sense to anybody but the Gestapo. So what if John Doe visited the Home
Shopping Network site in April of 2003? I sometimes run CCleaner, which
in it's normal course of duties automatically nukes this type of file.
Ain't no thang.

Unk

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:28:13 GMT, Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:

>Me again,
>
>I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
>about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
>won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
>add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
>without any problems?
>
>I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
>computer in your bedroom is spying on you!
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Edmonton_Guy
>-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
>-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Yes.

Shepİ

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:50:46 -0400 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric
Sheep and then Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote :

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 06:28:13 GMT, Edmonton_Guy ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
>
>>Me again,
>>
>>I was also wondering about index.dat files. I've read very little
>>about them but all I've heard is that they are spy files and Micro$oft
>>won't devulge too much information as to why they exist. Can I safely
>>add all of these "index.dat" files safely to a shutdown cleaner
>>without any problems?
>>
>>I'm no conspiracy nut or anything but you've got to wonder why your
>>computer in your bedroom is spying on you!
>>
>>Thanks again,
>>
>>Edmonton_Guy
>>-- Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Beta 6
>>-- http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

>Yes.

Ditto.

Index files should be deleted on a regularly basis as they will be
re-created anyway fresh and clean by the system

--
Free Windows/PC help,

Why do my photos come out sidewards when I play them on my DVD eventhough I have rotated them on my PC tapyeno Digital Photography 3 08-27-2009 12:25 AM
erase vs. erase al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 7 03-30-2006 11:45 AM
How do i erase all information in my orkut and erase the link to the orkut account? mountbatten@gmail.com Computer Support 1 10-31-2005 12:03 AM
why it seems that std::list::erase() doesnt free objects in a list, if the latter holds pointers to them? jimjim C++ 18 04-12-2004 09:12 PM
How do I erase a file that wont let me erase it? Dale Custer Computer Support 4 07-06-2003 09:48 AM

Advertisments