Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Decoding MIME and UUencode.

Decoding MIME and UUencode.

Alasdair Baxter

I received an attachment to an email which begins

----------vgfvxqlikmmsuhvyuoqp

but it consists of a load of nonsense text like this

UEsDBBQAAAAIAIsLNDMx9KbFF0MAAOKKAAAJAAAAcHJpY2UuZX hl7FoJXBPX1j8p+vBRK77a
1loXaK3dRbvY1/eKQBerUreqxaqAIorIIoKWRYlgQWUREUExIBEFQZHFurAlQBBB sBRcqYIL...

Is there a way by which I can copy and paste this large piece of nonsense
text into notepad and then decode it? Anyone know of a decoding program?

--
Alasdair.

old jon

"Alasdair Baxter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I received an attachment to an email which begins
>
> ----------vgfvxqlikmmsuhvyuoqp
>
> but it consists of a load of nonsense text like this
>
> UEsDBBQAAAAIAIsLNDMx9KbFF0MAAOKKAAAJAAAAcHJpY2UuZX hl7FoJXBPX1j8p+vBRK77a
> 1loXaK3dRbvY1/eKQBerUreqxaqAIorIIoKWRYlgQWUREUExIBEFQZHFurAlQBBB sBRcqYIL...
>
> Is there a way by which I can copy and paste this large piece of nonsense
> text into notepad and then decode it? Anyone know of a decoding program?
>
> --
> Alasdair.

Looks loke a zipped up file by the title. Perhaps unzip with Winzip or
winRAR.

why?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 18:41:44 +0100, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

>I received an attachment to an email which begins
>
>----------vgfvxqlikmmsuhvyuoqp
>
>but it consists of a load of nonsense text like this

Not it is not, why is it always the same comment?

The message info says - Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 , which is
just a bit different from UUencode.

The MIME type/subtype is this line

>UEsDBBQAAAAIAIsLNDMx9KbFF0MAAOKKAAAJAAAAcHJpY2UuZ Xhl7FoJXBPX1j8p+vBRK77a
>1loXaK3dRbvY1/eKQBerUreqxaqAIorIIoKWRYlgQWUREUExIBEFQZHFurAlQBBB sBRcqYIL...
>
>Is there a way by which I can copy and paste this large piece of nonsense
>text into notepad and then decode it? Anyone know of a decoding program?

Depending on OS, assuming Windows.

Yes, it's been mentioned before
and WinZIP
http://www.winzip.com/uu00007.htm

ripped from a previous post.
7. why? Feb 3, 5:01 am show options
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
From: why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 04:01:32 GMT
Subject: Re: BinHex4.0
Report Abuse

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 16:29:34 -0500, Earl Costello wrote:
>Roger thanks for your response....I upgraded Netscapte to 7.2 and based
>on yout suggesttion searched BinHex on Google.I frigged around for
>hours but couldn't find a 'converter' The attachment that I received is

http://www.funduc.com/explorer_extensions.htm USD $15
Encode - Translates binary files into a format suitable for Internet
Email attachments. Encode supports UUENCODE, Base64(Mime), BinHex(Mac),
Quoted-Printable, & XXENCODE formats. [Screen shots]

Decode - The reverse function to Encode, Decode is used to convert
e-mail attachments back to their original form. The Decode function
automatically detects UUENCODE, Base64(Mime), BinHex(Mac), XXENCODE,
Quoted-Printable, 7 bit unencoded, & plain text. [Screen shots]

There is also the freeware
http://www.funduc.com/decext.htm
Decode Shell Extension supports multiple attachments, multi-part files
(already concatenated), Base64(MIME), yEnc, BinHex (Mac format),
quoted-printable, plain text, XXENCODED, and User (table) encoded files.
Support for yEnc is new to version 4.6.

I've never used it for binhex/yenc, it's been a while since I last used
it and it worked fine.

Me

johny84 johny84 is offline
Junior Member

You can always use an On-line Base64 decoder . That should do the trick.

deltadel deltadel is offline
Junior Member

I have a folder that I saved many files in it. Today, I added a word document and alas, when I re-opened my computer, the folder became a MIME File. May I know if I can recover the files in that folder? It is urgent the the recent document is important.