Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Dell problems

Dell problems

kendra

I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it is.
I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the monitor, disc
drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if that makes any
sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I just ask for a new
hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I work with is Dell.
I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

Fred

"kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
> work with is Dell.
> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
'having problems mean?

kendra

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:432e7d94$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
>> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
>> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
>> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
>> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
>> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
>> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
>> work with is Dell.
>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
> as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
> viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
> 'having problems mean?

Hi

Sorry to take so long to reply, I can't always access the internet.

Problems: about six weeks after I got it, every word became encrypted
(that's
the correct term I'm told). Instead of letters for words I had shapes. The
icons were OK.I posted on here at the time but nothing worked. This was in
the middle of typing a document and I hadn't changed anything in the
computer settings. I gave it to an IT guy from work who kept it for 4 weeks
and returned it in the same condition. Eventually a friend came and created
a new account for me and that seemed to work. I still have the new and old
log in accounts.

A couple of months ago I was unable to start the PC as I was told a
particular file wasn't there. Can't remember now what it was. Looked on the
internet, found it was apparently a common problem that every one found
difficult to resolve. Someone had a solution which resulted in my PC default
booting up to Windows XP Set up. I have to wait to change the setting to XP
Home otherwise I'd have to restart.

Recently I joined Tesco Broadband and got their Internet security CD. Had to
delete all instances of McAfee and Norton. Multiple crashes as a result, and
can only boot up to "Last known Good Configuration". I still don't have
internet security. Internet scans suggest I have no viruses

My PC is about 4 months old. And its Windows XP Home Edition

Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not resolve
it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add a
program. I just want peace of mind.

I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

Please advise

Thanx

kendra

"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:432e7d94$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
>> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
>> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
>> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
>> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
>> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
>> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
>> work with is Dell.
>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
> as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
> viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
> 'having problems mean?

This was the missing file and the advice I used

From: stan on 07/28/2004
For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
installation of Windows you want to repair.
Typically this will be #1
4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM

The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is
misconfigured.
Any questions Email me http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

why?

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 17:24:03 GMT, kendra wrote:

>"Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:432e7d94$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
>>> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
>>> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
>>> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
>>> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if

It really depends if the problem is software or maybe hardware ,
harddisk , motherboard , overheating?

It's possible to pick up a new PC , without monitor , mouse , keyboard
and so on, either online or from a local shop, keeping your monitor ,
mouse etc. Most online offers do include XP Home or Pro, but a shop may
supply a blank hardisk and your XP can go on that.

However it really depends I assume the Dell XP will only work on a Dell.
See the comsumer help links below and push for a refund from Dell and
use that money for the new PC.

Often with OEM (Dell) type systems the Windows license is tied to the
single box and non transferable to another box. Which seems to be a bit
of crap , making one buy another copy making MS more money.

You could but a new hardisk / XP Home as an OEM bundle, getting XP for a
lower cost when bought with a necessary bit of hardware.

You will see the sort of thing
http://www.misco.co.uk
in the Windows Operating Systems , product listings , it's XP + hardisk
HDD cable.

I used http://ebuyer.co.uk , read the OEM terms, and from the list of
approved essential hardware selected XP Pro + (cheap) keyboard and paid
less for XP that way, it saved quite a bit, around GBP 30-40.

Microsoft OEM Operating system software MUST be purchased with a
non-peripheral hardware component or fully assembled computer system.
Non-peripheral hardware consists of a motherboard, graphics card, memory
module, hard disk, keyboard or mouse. Full retail boxed products must be
ordered if no hardware/PC system is to accompany the sale.

You may not get vendor support, I am not too clear on the position
there, but the sales people at any shop could help with that.

>>> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I

If the hardisk is okay in the current PC, sometimes it's easier to put
in into the new one and copy files that way.

>>> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
>>> work with is Dell.
>>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

>> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as good
>> as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there are no
>> viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What does
>> 'having problems mean?
>>>

>Hi
>
>Sorry to take so long to reply, I can't always access the internet.
>
>Problems: about six weeks after I got it, every word became encrypted
>(that's
>the correct term I'm told). Instead of letters for words I had shapes. The
>icons were OK.I posted on here at the time but nothing worked. This was in
>the middle of typing a document and I hadn't changed anything in the
>computer settings. I gave it to an IT guy from work who kept it for 4 weeks
>and returned it in the same condition. Eventually a friend came and created
>a new account for me and that seemed to work. I still have the new and old
>log in accounts.

Doesn't sound like a profile issue, but if a new (account) profile was
created then it could be a corrupt file in the profile.

At work the user profile folder or as much as possible is copied
somewhere safe and the profile deleted. The user then logs on and a new
profile is created.

>A couple of months ago I was unable to start the PC as I was told a
>particular file wasn't there. Can't remember now what it was. Looked on the
>internet, found it was apparently a common problem that every one found
>difficult to resolve. Someone had a solution which resulted in my PC default
>booting up to Windows XP Set up. I have to wait to change the setting to XP
>Home otherwise I'd have to restart.

Don't understand that bit?

The startup boot options are in boot.ini , if the PC does boot up for a
few minures it's possible to change the startup order.

This file can be edited manually
at the botton of the article, using My Computer | Properties , read the
bit - Open the Boot.ini File to Verify Changes , and you can set the
startup order, selecting Win XP first.

See the picture Startup and Recovery
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm
The picture is a screen shot,

Startup and Recovery
System startup
Default operating system:
select the line for which option you want to boot 1st.

>Recently I joined Tesco Broadband and got their Internet security CD. Had to

If I already have AV etc on a PC I never (or rater in any case) , put on
any software from an ISP.

>delete all instances of McAfee and Norton. Multiple crashes as a result, and
>can only boot up to "Last known Good Configuration". I still don't have

Not sure how to make the Last known , become the new default as it uses
some registry changes that the current config may be at fault with
because of a driver / config issue.
It's linked to system restore settinga , something I haven't had
problems with.

Although I think the next normal restart sould work but then again.

>internet security. Internet scans suggest I have no viruses
>
>My PC is about 4 months old. And its Windows XP Home Edition

What's the Dell warrenty? Even though it's fairly new and doesn't seen
fit for purpose. IANAL (I am not a laywer) however Dell should still
replace it or refund, if you used a credit card to pay, ask your cedit
card company.

You may also like to try the consumer letters page

Helping Hand of PCPro www.pcpro.co.uk

PC Plus Campaign www.pcplus.co.uk or the forum
http://forum.pcplus.co.uk

>Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
>patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
>about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not resolve
>it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add a
>program. I just want peace of mind.
>
>I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

<grin> that's the other way around.

Me

Fred

"kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IzCXe.9639$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Fred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:432e7d94$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it.
>>> I've now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get
>>> everything all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or
>>> whatever it is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to
>>> keep the monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system
>>> itself if that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my
>>> files. Do I just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure
>>> that nothing I work with is Dell.
>>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

>> Not much information about age of computer etc, but Dell should be as
>> good as any brand, and a damn sight better than some. Are you sure there
>> are no viruses etc, or funny settings before you go spending money? What
>> does 'having problems mean?
>>>

> This was the missing file and the advice I used
>

> From: stan on 07/28/2004
> For the Hal.dll file missing problem do this:
> 1.Insert and boot from your WindowsXP CD.
> 2.At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
> 3.Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
> installation of Windows you want to repair.
> Typically this will be #1
> 4.Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
> 5.Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
> 6.Type exit and take out the CD ROM
>
> The problem is the BOOT.INI file on the root of the C: drive is
> misconfigured.
> Any questions Email me (E-Mail Removed)

Rushing out to buy new bits and pieces for your computer seems like buying a
new engine for your car because it won't start. Get someone to have a look
at it for you. At four months old you certainly shouldn't need to reac into
your pocket.

PC

"kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
> work with is Dell.
> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you

Kendra

First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
person you tried at work.
Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
hard drive, sick memory)
If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it replaced.

If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
completely reinstall Windows and other software.

There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
warranty.

Cheers
Paul.

kendra

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

> What's the Dell warrenty? Even though it's fairly new and doesn't seen
> fit for purpose. IANAL (I am not a laywer) however Dell should still
> replace it or refund, if you used a credit card to pay, ask your cedit
> card company.
>
> You may also like to try the consumer letters page
>
> Helping Hand of PCPro www.pcpro.co.uk
>
> PC Plus Campaign www.pcplus.co.uk or the forum
> http://forum.pcplus.co.uk
>
>>Dell take ages to reply. Apart from one instance they were impatient and
>>patronizing so I decided not to call them anymore. I know I know little
>>about computers but that's no reason to be patronizing and still not
>>resolve
>>it. I've had PCs before and they haven't crashed each time I've had to add
>>program. I just want peace of mind.
>>
>>I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with information (is it sufficient?)

OK that's useful. I think I'll print this out and go to Maplin's and see
what they say then compare with internet prices on the site you gave me
thank you

kendra

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h0IXe.13081$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it. I've
>> now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get everything
>> all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or whatever it
>> is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to keep the
>> monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system itself if
>> that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my files. Do I
>> just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure that nothing I
>> work with is Dell.
>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
>>

> Kendra
>
> First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
> person you tried at work.
> Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
> hard drive, sick memory)
> If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it
> replaced.
>
> If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
> completely reinstall Windows and other software.
>
> There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
> warranty.
>
> Cheers
> Paul.

I agree I shouldn't have to buy something new but when you need peace of
mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I'll try dell once again and if no
luck I'll have to pay I guess. I'm avoiding IT as the guy had it for almost
a month and I did ask him if I had to buy a new hard drive etc but he
wasn't sure whereas my brother;s friend sorted it out in less than an hour -
admittedly by creating a new account - but at least got it working which was
all I wanted.
Sounds like the options I have are 1/ talk to Dell and/ or Microsoft, 2/
Give up and buy new, 3/Get my brother's friend to come over again!
Thank you all
xx

PC

"kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zLKXe.9786$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:h0IXe.13081$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "kendra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:EEtXe.10914$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I've been having problems with my Dell Computer ever since I got it.
>>> I've now decided I'm going to get a new one but I don't want to get
>>> everything all over again - just the operating system or hard drive or
>>> whatever it is. I'm sorry but I don't know the terminology. I want to
>>> keep the monitor, disc drives - the hardware etc but change the system
>>> itself if that makes any sense. I suppose I'd then be transferring my
>>> files. Do I just ask for a new hard drive or what? I want to make sure
>>> that nothing I work with is Dell.
>>> I hope someone can understand this and give me advice. thank you
>>>

>> Kendra
>>
>> First I would find an IT person who is a bit more competent than the IT
>> person you tried at work.
>> Get them to check if there is any discernable hardware problems (eg sick
>> hard drive, sick memory)
>> If there is log a service call with Dell under warranty and get it
>> replaced.
>>
>> If there is no hardware problems then get out the Del recovery disks and
>> completely reinstall Windows and other software.
>>
>> There should be no need to buy new parts for a 4 month old PC under
>> warranty.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Paul.
>>

> I agree I shouldn't have to buy something new but when you need peace of
> mind sometimes you have to pay for it. I'll try dell once again and if no
> luck I'll have to pay I guess. I'm avoiding IT as the guy had it for
> almost a month and I did ask him if I had to buy a new hard drive etc but
> he wasn't sure whereas my brother;s friend sorted it out in less than an
> hour - admittedly by creating a new account - but at least got it working
> which was all I wanted.
> Sounds like the options I have are 1/ talk to Dell and/ or Microsoft, 2/
> Give up and buy new, 3/Get my brother's friend to come over again!
> Thank you all
> xx

Hi again Kendra

The fact that your friend had it running ok by just creating another account
suggests very strongly there is nothing wrong with the hardware.

I had a reread of your reply to Fred and I get the impression you PC is
simply suffering from misconfiguration. i.e. software screwups.

The cause?? ah and this is where I ask you to please accept what I say in
kindness not critisim.
The symptoms you describe are very similar to what I see on 'new' PC's with
new or inexperienced users.
A slip of the mouse click, not reading on screen messages and clicking OK,
looking for the one button that does it all, deleting stuff without
understanding what it is your'e deleting, etc, etc.
Again I reiterate my comments are offered respectfully, I think you are
suffering from what is know as a 'Learning Curve'

So again I say there is no need to buy new hardware, but to take the restore
disks that came with the machine and do a fresh install of all the software.
This reinstallation from the restore disks will give you the new "System"
that you described in your first post.
Yes you could persist and find out 'exactly' what is corrupt on you present
installation, however by the time you've done that you could have probably
reinstalled all your software, retyped all your letters and emails, and made
a nice roast dinner to boot.

Any files you have created should be burnt off to a CD or copied to a Flash
memory stick 'before' you pick up the restore disks, as the full restore
will wipe all the files/data that is on your hard drive at present.

Hope this makes things clearer for you
Paul.