Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > bios upgrade question

bios upgrade question

PackRat2112

i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
to upgrade my bios.
i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
it.

anyone?

tia.

GHalleck

PackRat2112 wrote:

> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
> to upgrade my bios.
> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
> it.
>
> anyone?

The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.

> tia.

PackRat2112

GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> PackRat2112 wrote:
>
>> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to
>> install 2
>> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
>> want to upgrade my bios.
>> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
>> self-extracting zip
>> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
>> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
>> with
>> it.
>>
>> anyone?

> The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
> upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
> manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.
>>
>> tia.

actually i just found their .pdf manual and i'm checking it out right
now.
i just thought that there was an all around general way of doing this.

this is what's called "flashing the bios", correct?

PackRat2112

GHalleck <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> PackRat2112 wrote:
>
>> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to
>> install 2
>> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
>> want to upgrade my bios.
>> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
>> self-extracting zip
>> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
>> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
>> with
>> it.
>>
>> anyone?

> The download site should have instructions for doing the bios
> upgrade. Re-visit the site. Alternately, read the motherboard
> manual and the bios manual that usually is released with it.
>>
>> tia.

hmmm.. everything that the manual refers to, is the initial set-up and
features. (chaintech is known for not being nice to nubees). maybe that
i'll have to contact their tech support, but that'll take days.

thanks for your responce.
i'll keep looking

Sunny

"PackRat2112" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96D5E728FFBF3EuropaJupiternet@208.49.80.60 ...
> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
> to upgrade my bios.
> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
> it.
>
> anyone?

Download the Word file "How do I update the BIOS" from :
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/

PackRat2112

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ARsXe.246$(E-Mail Removed):

> "PackRat2112" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96D5E728FFBF3EuropaJupiternet@208.49.80.60 ...
>> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install
>> 2
>> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
>> want to upgrade my bios.
>> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
>> self-extracting zip
>> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
>> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
>> with
>> it.
>>
>> anyone?

> Download the Word file "How do I update the BIOS" from :
> http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/Download/

ko.. thanks for the link. i got it now.

have a good day.

Vanguard \(NPI\)

"PackRat2112" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96D5E728FFBF3EuropaJupiternet@208.49.80.60 ...
> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install 2
> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i want
> to upgrade my bios.
> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a self-extracting zip
> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do with
> it.

You should already know that a .doc, .txt, .xls, or other document file is
worthless without some program that can actually read the file and display
it to you. The .bin file is worthless without a program to actually use
that data file. Go back to their web site and download their flash program.
However, if you don't have a UPS attached to the computer and power is lost
during the flash (i.e., writing the .bin file's contents to the EEPROM) then
you'll end up with a dead computer until you replace the BIOS' EEPROM
chip(s).

And why do you think the BIOS must be updated? Did you actually read the
description of the version for the BIOS update that you downloaded to see
that it fixed a problem that you experienced or resolves a known problem
with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you actually know that
it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is speedier, it provides a new
option that you feel compelled to have, it supports large drives (and your
old BIOS doesn't), and so on. If you don't know what the new version gives
you then you don't need it.

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.

PackRat2112

"Vanguard \(NPI\)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dgmbto$psp$(E-Mail Removed):

> "PackRat2112" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96D5E728FFBF3EuropaJupiternet@208.49.80.60 ...
>> i have a ChainTech 9CJS ZENITH mobo and am getting ready to install
>> 2
>> wester-digital wd2500 hard drives in it. but before i do any thing i
>> want to upgrade my bios.
>> i've d/l'ed the upgrade and it came in the form of a
>> self-extracting zip
>> file. i unzipped it to a folder on my desktop.
>> it's a .bin file and now i'm not sure as to what i'm suppose to do
>> with
>> it.

> You should already know that a .doc, .txt, .xls, or other document
> file is worthless without some program that can actually read the file
> and display it to you.

i downloaded Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 for that.

The .bin file is worthless without a program
> to actually use that data file. Go back to their web site and
> download their flash program.

on boot i can hit alt/f2 to enter the flash program in my current bios,
so i think i just have to put the .bin file on a floppy and it will do the
rest.

However, if you don't have a UPS
> attached to the computer and power is lost during the flash (i.e.,
> writing the .bin file's contents to the EEPROM) then you'll end up
> with a dead computer until you replace the BIOS' EEPROM chip(s).

i understand this.

> And why do you think the BIOS must be updated?

well, the h/d's that i got have several way of hooking them up.
i'm going to attemp to do a raid 0 set-up with them(which i should be able
to do with the current bios). but also these h/d's are capable of 3.0
Gb/sec with a sata II ready mobo (from what i understand). and i'm hoping
the new bios will make the mobo sata II compliant.

Did you actually read
> the description of the version for the BIOS update that you downloaded
> to see that it fixed a problem that you experienced or resolves a
> known problem with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you
> actually know that it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is
> speedier, it provides a new option that you feel compelled to have, it
> supports large drives (and your old BIOS doesn't), and so on. If you
> don't know what the new version gives you then you don't need it.

i really didn't see any description of it all i know is that my current
version is v6.00 and the one that i d/l'ed is v8.00, so i figured that it
couldn't hurt anything if i updated it since i'm basically doing a
startover on my computer with my new h/d's.

i could be wrong.

Plato

PackRat2112 wrote:

> Gb/sec with a sata II ready mobo (from what i understand). and i'm hoping
> the new bios will make the mobo sata II compliant.

Dont hope. Make sure before you risk it.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Vanguard (NPI) wrote:

> with your system? Don't be flashing the BIOS unless you actually know that
> it provides SOMETHING for you, like a fix, it is speedier, it provides a new
> option that you feel compelled to have, it supports large drives (and your

Heck yeah. I've seen bios upgrades that only address getting along with
a specific video card or a specific model cdrom drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Bios Upgrade Radfaldo Computer Support 3 05-11-2004 06:20 PM
BIOS Flash upgrade for a 7200T Phil Computer Support 30 02-29-2004 05:41 AM
Help to upgrade a bios Bisbebal Computer Support 3 08-05-2003 08:56 AM