Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library Error

Microsoft Visual C++Runtime Library Error

lorac

I am running: WIN98SE IE6

In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I
could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
icons on desktop I get this error message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

(X) Runtime Error

Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe

*This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*

I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the
downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone Alarm/help
on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..

Carol

old jon

"lorac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%M_We.10825$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> I am running: WIN98SE IE6
>
> In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I
> could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
> icons on desktop I get this error message:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
> (X) Runtime Error
>
> Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe
>
> *This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
> way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*
>

> I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
> send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the
> downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone
> Alarm/help
> on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..
>
> Carol

Possible Solution:

It is possible that you have been attacked by some malware/spyware. Install
and update:
a.. Adaware SE
b.. Spybot S&D
Download these for free here:

http://www.5starsupport.com/info/virusinfo.htm

Then, perform a complete system scan using the free anti-virus scanner
listed below:

http://www.housecall.antivirus.com

After completing system scans using the two listed scanners and anti-virus
scanner, reboot your computer and see if your problem has been resolved.

If it has not, then try uninstalling your Google toolbar, here's how:

1. Go to Start>> Control Panel>> Add/Remove Programs.
2. Scroll the list until you find "Google toolbar for Internet Explorer".
3. Remove the program and reboot your system.

UnQuote

why?

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 15:16:25 -0500, lorac wrote:

>I am running: WIN98SE IE6
>
>In downloading ZA's update (free one) I noticed several hours later that I

Just during the download, and from the zonelabs page?

Or was ZA doing it's own update?

You didn't install it?

>could not access the internet..When I click on IE or any internet website
>icons on desktop I get this error message:
>
>Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
>(X) Runtime Error
>
>Program: C:\Program files\Internet Explorer\ Explore.exe
>
> *This application has requested the runtime to terminate it at an unusual
>way. Please contact the application's support team for more information*

Sounds like something not so good has replaced a system file.

Version conflict in one of the VC++ DLL's and there are quite a few,

msvcrt.dll v6.1.9359 and v6.1.9844
msvcr71.dll v7.10 from the .NET Framework install
msvcr70.dll v7.0.9466

That's the DLL cache, uninstalls , service packs and 5 in the windows
directory.

If you installes ZA -
Don't know Win98SE , does it allow system restore points? Did you make 1
before installing ZA?

Can you uninstall ZA? Maybe the uninstall puts back the old file?

Does 98SE have a dllcache cache file in the Windows folder?

This is what I have had work in the past, only a few times, and it's not
simple, find the date/time/version of all the msvcrt*.dll files. Copy
the files in \windows tree and then rename then, from the other copies /
versions found in other locations copy then into the windows folder.

You have to be *very* careful doing this and it most likely won't work
if you have a virus / spyware problem.

>I have lost the ability to get on the internet...I can receive mail and
>send. I cannot be sure how I lost this "Runtime file" except in the

and news is okay

>downloading of that update from Zone Alarm..I cannot contact Zone Alarm/help
>on IE because I cannot get on line! I surely need some help here..

If you can't get IE running, maybe try 1 of these netscape, mozilla,
firefox from a magazine cover cd.

Me

lorac

you give no name "unquote" old jon, but that was it!!! Thank you so much..
but what
in the world would Google tool bar (and how did you know?) have to
do with that Microsoft error message? Or Zone Alarm...whatever, I am back
on line...can't quibble with that!!!

Thanx, Thanx

Carol

news:5X_We.6047$(E-Mail Removed)...