Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98

Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98

user

Hi,

I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
Skype.

I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
"Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".

I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.

I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
and 2000.

Thank you in advance.

JF

trout

user wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
> on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
> Skype.
>
> I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450
> Hz)which I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web
> browsing. Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On
> carrying out the "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own
> voice. The recorded message told me that "there is something wrong
> with my audio setting".
>
> I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
>
> I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
> Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows
> XP and 2000.

Those, unfortunately, are also among the "minimum system requirements".
--
It seems the program will install, but not function, in Win98.

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 10:15:44 +0800, user <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
>on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
>Skype.
>
>I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
>I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
>Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
>"Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
>message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
>
>I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
>
>I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
>Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
>and 2000.
>
>Thank you in advance.

Is the audio hardware full duplex?

>JF

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

user

user wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
> on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
> Skype.
>
> I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
> I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
> Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
> "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
> message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
>
> I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
>
> I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
> Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
> and 2000.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> JF

Barry OGrady Sep 18, 8:42 am

Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
From: Barry OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> - Find messages by this author
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:42:53 +1000
Subject: Re: Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98

Is the audio hardware full duplex?

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Hi Barry,

I checked with the local IBM support center this afternoon. I was
advised that there is no sound card in my computer. "The sound from the
computer is generated using the CPU". It uses "ESS-Solo 1". I am afraid
all this is beyond me. The bottom line is: the audio hardware is not
"full duplex", I presume, since I do not even have a sound card.

Does this mean that I need to install a "full duplex" sound card before
I can use Skype?

kind regards!

JF

Barry OGrady

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:31:30 +0800, user <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>user wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would appreciate any help or guidance in adjusting my audio settings
>> on the Windows 98 OS so that I can use a free Internet VoIP service,
>> Skype.
>>
>> I have a vintaged IBM Aptiva Computer (Windows 98, AMD K6-2 450 Hz)which
>> I use for basic tasks such as email, word processing and web browsing.
>> Last week, I installed the Skype's phone program. On carrying out the
>> "Test Call" at Skype, I could not record my own voice. The recorded
>> message told me that "there is something wrong with my audio setting".
>>
>> I can hear the instructions clearly, so that speaker settings are OK.
>>
>> I also have checked that the microphone is correctly plugged in. The
>> Skype's trouble-shooting instructions at Skype are meant for Windows XP
>> and 2000.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> JF

>_________________________________________________ ______
>Barry OGrady Sep 18, 8:42 am
>
>Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>From: Barry OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> - Find messages by this author
>Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 10:42:53 +1000
>Subject: Re: Help needed to set up audio on Windows 98
>

>Is the audio hardware full duplex?
>

>Barry
>=====
>Home page
>http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
>
>_________________________________________________ ________
>
>Hi Barry,
>
>I checked with the local IBM support center this afternoon. I was
>advised that there is no sound card in my computer. "The sound from the
>computer is generated using the CPU". It uses "ESS-Solo 1". I am afraid
>all this is beyond me. The bottom line is: the audio hardware is not
>"full duplex", I presume, since I do not even have a sound card.
>
>Does this mean that I need to install a "full duplex" sound card before
>I can use Skype?

I would think so. I am trying to get Win 98 running so I can set up a
Shoutcast server. Win 98 seems to be much harder to get running properly
than does Win XP.

>kind regards!
>
>JF

Barry