Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how do remove a message sent to newsgroup?

how do remove a message sent to newsgroup?

Mst

Anyone can help on this?

Blinky the Shark

Mst wrote:
> Anyone can help on this?

Sure.

1. The question goes in the body of the message, not in the Subject
header.

2. You can't; if you don't want it distributed, don't post it.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

dadiOH

Mst wrote:
> Anyone can help on this?

OE
Help

Type in "deleting posted message"

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

The Old Sourdough

Mst wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Anyone can help on this?

Generally, you can't. Once it propagates out into the world. it's there
for all to see. However, if (and that's a BIG if) you cancel it
immediately afetr posting, and your news server honors canel requests
(most don't), there is a one-in-a-million chance it might work. In
Outlook Express, find your post, highlight it, go to Message>CAncel
Message. The chances of this actually working are slim and none, but
good luck. A lesson to be learned is: be sure when you hit "Send", that
you really want to send it.

--
The Old Sourdough
May a handful of oversexed toll booth attendants access your underpants

Mst

Can you be more specific? I don't understand the procedure given. Thanks.

"dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Mst wrote:
>> Anyone can help on this?

> OE
> Help
>
> Type in "deleting posted message"
>
> --
> dadiOH
> ____________________________
>
> dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Willard

Mst wrote:

>Anyone can help on this?

Have you tried:
http://www.google.com/googlegroups/help.html#9

JANA

You should always include in the body of the message your question that you
want to submit.

Most of the time, you will not be able to delete the message. It is possible
however that it may be able to be cancelled from your ISP's server before it
propagates out over thousands of servers to the rest of the world. Once
posted, the cancel command may not reach all the servers, and sub servers
that it gets in to.

In OE, highlight the message you posted. Then on the toolbar, click on
Message, then click on Cancel Message. Then you can prey that it gets
cancelled.

When posting messages, let them sit in your Outbox for a while. Read through
them, and carefully decide if you want them posted. Once posted, generally
they are almost like they were engraved in a hard stone that is not
accessible to destroy.

--

JANA
_____

"Mst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zn0We.2956$(E-Mail Removed).. .
Anyone can help on this?

John Holmes

Mst blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Anyone can help on this?

No.
Once your message has been sent, it will be available on usenet for the
next trizillion years.

--
Your mother was an egotistical dunce who joined a religious cult in a rest
home.

Old Gringo

--
Old Gringo George
Magic Weaver Of Life

Mike Easter

Mst wrote:
Subject: how do remove a message sent to newsgroup?

If you send a message to a newsgroup on a newsserver which does not
propagate, an example is news.spamcop.net, and which honors cancels, an
example is news.spamcop.net, and you can cancel it before others get it,
then your cancel will work.

If you send a message to a newsgroup on a newsserver which does
propagate, an example is this group on 'usenet in general' newsservers,
and/or you try to cancel a message with a newsserver which does not
honor cancels and/or does not propagate cancels, then the message will
be and/or have been distributed worldwide and you can't 'undo' its
propagation, and your cancel will not work, or will not work
significantly.

In the 2nd par, it doesn't matter what OE sez when you use its cancel
message function; that function just sends out a 'cancel message'
message, which /does/ have an effect in the example in the 1st par, but
does *not* have an effect or much of an effect in the example in the 2nd
par.

--
Mike Easter