Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 2k share

Windows 2k share

Dingus

Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
share, it is reenabled after re-boot.

The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
allowed.

The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.

I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.

I DO NOT want to share this drive.

Thanks for any help.

PC

"Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:YCHVe.5922$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
> share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
>

> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
> In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
> allowed.
>

> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
>
> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
>
> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Dingus

I'm a bit hazy on the details, but the C$ share is allways there from what I
remember, you can not delete it, it's the way W2K works.
The fact you do not have a 'hand' under the drive/folder icon means the
drive is not shared.

Cheers
Paul.

Duane Arnold

"Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
@twister.southeast.rr.com:

> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
> share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
>

> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
> In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
> allowed.
>

> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
>
> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
>
> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
>
> Thanks for any help.

http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm

Duane

Toolman Tim

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
>
>> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I
>> disable share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
>>

>> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is
>> C$. In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to
>> max. allowed.
>>

>> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My
>> computer.
>>
>> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
>>
>> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
>
> Duane

Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news6KVe.3247$(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
>> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
>>
>>> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I
>>> disable share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
>>>

>>> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is
>>> C$. In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to
>>> max. allowed.
>>>

>>> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My
>>> computer.
>>>
>>> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
>>>
>>> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help.
>>>

>> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
>>
>> Duane

> Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...

Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet. It's
convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*.

Duane

Toolman Tim

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news6KVe.3247$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Duane Arnold wrote:
>>> "Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
>>> @twister.southeast.rr.com:

>>> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
>>>
>>> Duane

>> Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...
>>

> Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
> It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*.
>
> Duane

Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cEKVe.7607$(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news6KVe.3247$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Which makes me wonder why he is running is system as administator...
>>>

>> Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
>> It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*.
>>
>> Duane

> Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)

Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an executive
inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have a BB hook.
But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my laptop that I can
dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or something like that
allows one to access the NG(s).

Duane

Duane

Toolman Tim

Duane Arnold wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:cEKVe.7607$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Duane Arnold wrote:
>>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news6KVe.3247$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Well, you know that most do just that run as Admin on the Internet.
>>> It's convince kind of thing I guess for them and the *hackers*.
>>>
>>> Duane

>> Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)
>>

> Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
> 19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an
> executive inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have
> a BB hook. But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my
> laptop that I can dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or
> something like that allows one to access the NG(s).
>
> Duane

NetZero doesn't have their own news servers. They suggest checking for free
nntp servers.

I tossed a quick note to PeoplePC to see what they have to say <g>. I've
used this one for dialup when I've been out of town on vacation before, and
the connection was always good.

Dingus

> "Dingus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:YCHVe.5922$Jp.523268
> @twister.southeast.rr.com:
>
>> Windows 2K Machine indicates that my C drive is shared. When I disable
>> share, it is reenabled after re-boot.
>>

>> The radio button for "Share this folder" is selected. Share name is C$.
>> In Comment window it says "default share". User limit is set to max.
>> allowed.
>>

>> The drive doesn't have the graphical hand under the drive in My computer.
>>
>> I am not connected to a network. I am the admin. for this machine.
>>
>> I DO NOT want to share this drive.
>>
>> Thanks for any help.
>>

> http://www.petri.co.il/disable_admin...ive_shares.htm
>
> Duane

Thanks for the help. Instructions at website worked great. That is a very
good user friendly site. Please recommend others.
Thanks again,

D.

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:NvMVe.879$(E-Mail Removed):

> Duane Arnold wrote:
>> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:cEKVe.7607$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Heh - why make hacking difficult ;o)
>>>

>> Hey, I am going to be in Reno, NV for the next 6 months starting Sept
>> 19th 2005 working a .Net contract. The place I am staying at an
>> executive inn for long term stay with week to week rates doesn't have
>> a BB hook. But they do have telephones, a line in the room, for my
>> laptop that I can dial-up to the Internet. I wonder if Netzero or
>> something like that allows one to access the NG(s).
>>
>> Duane

> NetZero doesn't have their own news servers. They suggest checking for
> free nntp servers.
>
> I tossed a quick note to PeoplePC to see what they have to say <g>.
> I've used this one for dialup when I've been out of town on vacation
> before, and the connection was always good.

PeoplePC I'll check it out.

Thanks

Duane