Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > startrek dyson sphere

startrek dyson sphere

F Sutherland

Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there was
actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
is this complete fiction?

Hugh

Unk

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:41:41 -0400, "F Sutherland" <fsutherland@??sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
>fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
>was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
>artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there was
>actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
>is this complete fiction?
>
>Hugh

Dyson Sphere FAQ
http://www.nada.kth.se/~asa/dysonFAQ.html

Several Science Fiction writers have written stories about a Dyson Sphere.
Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, and Steven Barnes to name a few. They also
wrote a series of stories about a Ring World.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...53624?v=glance

Render Me

try AVG.

"F Sutherland" <fsutherland@??sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:5unVe.1458$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
> fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
> was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
> artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there
> was actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named
> DYSON or is this complete fiction?
>
> Hugh

Mitch

In article <5unVe.1458$(E-Mail Removed)>, F Sutherland
<fsutherland@??sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Alot of time in a SCI FI TV show they will not always make up the science
> fiction. Sometimes they use real worl things then fantasize them out. I
> was watching an episode of STAR TREK TNG dealing with A DYSON SPHERE (an
> artificial work that has a sun on the inside). I was wondering if there was
> actual scientific theory behind this by some real scientist named DYSON or
> is this complete fiction?
>
> Hugh

Freeman Dyson supposed this object.
It's nonsense in the sense that you have to unbuild your own world in
order to make it.
Psychologically, most cultures would go through mass genocide rather
than lose the sky, nighttime, and total reliance on the structure for
everything.

There's another one you might find interesting; Larry Niven and Jerry
Pournelle wrote about (if not actually developed) a corollary concept
of a Ring built in the same way, where a giant Hot Wheels track spun
around the sun.

These are ideas built around the idea of expanding population. They are
nonsense. They certainly might work, with some really amazing physics
and materials development, but why go to this kind of work instead of
simply going to another planet?