Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > solid state external drive or normal spinning type?

solid state external drive or normal spinning type?

jw 1111

Hi, in choosing an external hard drive i have narrowed it down to a choice
between a small laptop type in an external case or a small portable solid
state type of 60
GB.

is there any advantage in getting the normal laptop type since the
solid state one has no moving parts; which i thought would have been an
advantage. but on the other hand if they were that much better i guess the
soldi state type would be fitted to laptops, but they are not.

any advice please about the relative merits of the two different types?
thanks.

JANA

I have not seen a very large solid state type at a reasonable cost. If you
have the dollars for a 60 gb solid state drive, this would be ideal. There
would be no mechanical parts, thus it would have a much greater endurance
for being knocked around.

--

JANA
_____

"jw 1111" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:M_VUe.3960$(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi, in choosing an external hard drive i have narrowed it down to a choice
between a small laptop type in an external case or a small portable solid
state type of 60
GB.

is there any advantage in getting the normal laptop type since the
solid state one has no moving parts; which i thought would have been an
advantage. but on the other hand if they were that much better i guess the
soldi state type would be fitted to laptops, but they are not.

any advice please about the relative merits of the two different types?
thanks.

Walter Mautner

JANA wrote:
[replies trimmed to 24hrsupport.helldesk because question is of no special
relevance to "microsoft" or "ie6" related groups]

> I have not seen a very large solid state type at a reasonable cost. If you
> have the dollars for a 60 gb solid state drive, this would be ideal. There
> would be no mechanical parts, thus it would have a much greater endurance
> for being knocked around.

But then, look at the specs .. usually flash memory is specified for around
100.000 overwrites. Sounds pretty much, but *just that one byte that counts
the seconds* will be affected first, like maybe main inode/FAT table
entries.
Just because I'm curous, how much to pay for it?

Btw., there are hardware groups where the thread appears to belong to.
to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]