Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > slides to DVD ?

slides to DVD ?

Ian Fraser

My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
burn them
to dvd for safe keeping!

what is the best way to do this?

thanks

Ian

John Inzer

Ian Fraser wrote:
> My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a
> younge girl and wants me burn them
> to dvd for safe keeping!
>
> what is the best way to do this?
>
> thanks
>
> Ian

==================================
First, you need a scanner with a
transparency adapter.

Read some reviews at the following
link:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,119276,00.asp

The following link offers lots of good
info on scanning:

A Few Scanning Tips:
http://www.scantips.com/

When all the slides are scanned and
saved on your hard drive...burn them
on a disk. CD / DVD / etc.

If you have a DVD burner...it came with
software that will do this task.

--

John Inzer

gangle

"Ian Fraser" wrote
> My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
> burn them
> to dvd for safe keeping!
>
> what is the best way to do this?
>
> thanks

You need a high quality scanner that properly reads slides,
which will then deposit them onto the hard drive as jpegs.
The jpegs can be edited (if necessary) with an image program
like Irfanview. Then you can burn the jpegs onto a DVD using
the DATA setting of your DVD burning software.

Helpful, starting sites on slide scanning:
http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.or...mm_slides.html

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...,115075,00.asp

Free yet fabulous Irfanview: www.irfanview.com/

Also, there are commercial enterprises that will do it for
a fee (although not a practical idea when you have a
lot of slides -- you are better off buying a decent scanner).
Example:
http://www.yourmemories4ever.com/

FML

Ian Fraser wrote:
> My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
> burn them
> to dvd for safe keeping!
>
> what is the best way to do this?
>
> thanks
>
> Ian

If it is a one time thing, you are better off paying someone to do it.
Good slide scanners that are not a PITA to scan large volumes of slides
are expensive. In the US, Walgreen's will do 100 slides for $49.99. I
have seen local (Dallas, TX, USA) shops advertise for as little as .29
per slide. Still $290 - $500 (to do 1000 slides) is less than you'll pay
for a good slide scanner like these:

http://tinyurl.com/9br9e
http://tinyurl.com/dpnmj

Not to mention the cost of the time you'll have to put in to do it yourself.

Toolman Tim

FML wrote:
> Ian Fraser wrote:
>> My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and
>> wants me burn them
>> to dvd for safe keeping!
>>
>> what is the best way to do this?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Ian
>>

> If it is a one time thing, you are better off paying someone to do it.
> Good slide scanners that are not a PITA to scan large volumes of
> slides are expensive. In the US, Walgreen's will do 100 slides for $49.99.
> have seen local (Dallas, TX, USA) shops advertise for as little as .29
> per slide. Still $290 - $500 (to do 1000 slides) is less than you'll
> pay for a good slide scanner like these:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/9br9e
> http://tinyurl.com/dpnmj
>
> Not to mention the cost of the time you'll have to put in to do it
> yourself.

Yeah - my Dad's slide collection is over 10,000. I just can't see the point
<g>

Actually, much of his work is excellent. Some award winning in fact (local
and state awards, no national). But I would like Mom to go through it and
start picking out what she really wants to save. The slides are from the
50's, 60's and 70's mostly, and many are fading. We should try to get them
into a digital format soon.

Tom

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:43:58 +1000, "Ian Fraser"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| My wife has over a 1,000 slides from when she was a younge girl and wants me
| burn them
| to dvd for safe keeping!
|
| what is the best way to do this?
|
| thanks
|
| Ian

Whatever you choose to do, do NOT get a flatbed scanner that scans
film/slides. Get a dedicated film scanner instead.

I have an Epson Perfection 1650, a flatbed scanner which supports slides
and film. I got a job to scan around 400 slides. Let me tell you, this
was a NIGHTMARE and took a few months to complete.

All the flatbed scanners I know will scan 4-8 slides at a time, and
because of the resolution each one will take minutes.

These are good for just a few slide/films scans, but for a 1000? I don't
think so.

Just my opinion,

Tom.