Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How long can one extend an audio cable?

How long can one extend an audio cable?

HC

I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my PC. How
long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

Thanks
HC

philo

"HC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my PC. How
> long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

No problems with a 100' cable.
Even though the thin, standard speaker wire will work...
you may want to go with a slightly larger gauge such as #16 or #14 wire.
The lower the number, the thicker the cable

The Old Sourdough

HC wrote in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my
> PC. How long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing
> quality loss?
>
> Thanks
> HC

Depends on many things. Take a look at this PDF:

www.procosound.com/downloads/Wire%20Guide.pdf

and decide what you need/want.

--
The Old Sourdough
May 15 frowsy drag queens wake up after a night of drinking in your

Walter Mautner

HC wrote:

> I'd like to locate some speakers approximately 100 feet from my PC. How
> long can I safely extend the audio cable before noticing quality loss?

If you have a amplifier in or near your PC, and passive speakers, no problem
- except you should use a good thicker one especially if you won't be able
to exchange it later without making your home a building site once again
Now, for the usual "line out" and "active speakers" combo, you will want a
low impedance output (should at least support headphones directly),
shielded cables, and avoid laying them parallel to mains cabling.

to remove offending incompatible products. Reactivate MS software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.13-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]