Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Bracketed negatives

Bracketed negatives

Chris

Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
start her own business

Toolman Tim

Chris wrote:
> Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
> brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
> start her own business

Yes.

<http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html>

Gordon

Chris wrote:
> Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
> brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
> start her own business

Unfortunately Excel, (unlike Lotus) will NOT do negative numbers in
brackets as default. You need to set up a custom format to do this.

--
Registered Linux User no 240308
Ubuntu 5.04 and Open Office

Toolman Tim

Gordon wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>> Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
>> brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
>> start her own business

> Unfortunately Excel, (unlike Lotus) will NOT do negative numbers in
> brackets as default. You need to set up a custom format to do this.

Gee - this must be *real* important - he doesn't seem to have checked back
<g>

If he means "parentheses" like these ( ), which are much more common for
negative numbers than 'brackets': { } or [ ], then it's a common setup and
is indeed in the list of standard numeric formats in Excel. It simply isn't
the default.

For the OP, select the range you wish to show negatives in ( ), and press
Ctrl-1 (format cells). Click on the "Number" tab, click on "Number" in the
list, click on (1234.00) - black or red - and click okay.

To use { } you can go to custom and edit one of the existing options to use
{ } for negatives. Excel won't us [ ] since they are reserved for using
names in formulas (or something like that...)

FML

Toolman Tim wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>>Chris wrote:
>>
>>>Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
>>>brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
>>>start her own business

>>Unfortunately Excel, (unlike Lotus) will NOT do negative numbers in
>>brackets as default. You need to set up a custom format to do this.

> Gee - this must be *real* important - he doesn't seem to have checked back
> <g>
>
> If he means "parentheses" like these ( ), which are much more common for
> negative numbers than 'brackets': { } or [ ], then it's a common setup and
> is indeed in the list of standard numeric formats in Excel. It simply isn't
> the default.
>
> For the OP, select the range you wish to show negatives in ( ), and press
> Ctrl-1 (format cells). Click on the "Number" tab, click on "Number" in the
> list, click on (1234.00) - black or red - and click okay.
>
> To use { } you can go to custom and edit one of the existing options to use
> { } for negatives. Excel won't us [ ] since they are reserved for using
> names in formulas (or something like that...)

When beancounters put a negative number in brackets, they are talking
about <> (like <123.45>. On my version of Excel (2000) you have to
create a custom format like "#,###.00_;<#,###.00>". I have no idea how
to make it the default (or even if you can!)

Toolman Tim

FML wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:

>>> Unfortunately Excel, (unlike Lotus) will NOT do negative numbers in
>>> brackets as default. You need to set up a custom format to do this.

>> Gee - this must be *real* important - he doesn't seem to have
>> checked back <g>
>>
>> If he means "parentheses" like these ( ), which are much more common
>> for negative numbers than 'brackets': { } or [ ], then it's a common
>> setup and is indeed in the list of standard numeric formats in
>> Excel. It simply isn't the default.
>>
>> For the OP, select the range you wish to show negatives in ( ), and
>> press Ctrl-1 (format cells). Click on the "Number" tab, click on
>> "Number" in the list, click on (1234.00) - black or red - and click
>> okay. To use { } you can go to custom and edit one of the existing
>> options
>> to use { } for negatives. Excel won't us [ ] since they are reserved
>> for using names in formulas (or something like that...)
>>

> When beancounters put a negative number in brackets, they are talking
> about <> (like <123.45>. On my version of Excel (2000) you have to
> create a custom format like "#,###.00_;<#,###.00>". I have no idea how
> to make it the default (or even if you can!)

No, you can't make it default. But you can select the whole worksheet and
format cells for that custom format. (Click on the space above "1" and left
of "A" to select the whole sheet, then Ctrl-1 for format cells).

But our office - bean counters included (we have several <g>) use
parentheses for negs just like Excel, not < > (greater than, less than -
those have OTHER purposes in math then marking numbers a negative.) Maybe
that's because our guys are used to the computer version of a ledger sheet?

FML

Toolman Tim wrote:
> FML wrote:
>
>>Toolman Tim wrote:

>>>Gee - this must be *real* important - he doesn't seem to have
>>>checked back <g>
>>>
>>>If he means "parentheses" like these ( ), which are much more common
>>>for negative numbers than 'brackets': { } or [ ], then it's a common
>>>setup and is indeed in the list of standard numeric formats in
>>>Excel. It simply isn't the default.
>>>
>>>For the OP, select the range you wish to show negatives in ( ), and
>>>press Ctrl-1 (format cells). Click on the "Number" tab, click on
>>>"Number" in the list, click on (1234.00) - black or red - and click
>>>okay. To use { } you can go to custom and edit one of the existing
>>>options
>>>to use { } for negatives. Excel won't us [ ] since they are reserved
>>>for using names in formulas (or something like that...)
>>>

>>When beancounters put a negative number in brackets, they are talking
>>about <> (like <123.45>. On my version of Excel (2000) you have to
>>create a custom format like "#,###.00_;<#,###.00>". I have no idea how
>>to make it the default (or even if you can!)

> No, you can't make it default. But you can select the whole worksheet and
> format cells for that custom format. (Click on the space above "1" and left
> of "A" to select the whole sheet, then Ctrl-1 for format cells).
>
> But our office - bean counters included (we have several <g>) use
> parentheses for negs just like Excel, not < > (greater than, less than -
> those have OTHER purposes in math then marking numbers a negative.) Maybe
> that's because our guys are used to the computer version of a ledger sheet?

Go look at any manual books being kept by any bean counter over 45.
You'll see the <> around all the negative numbers.

Toolman Tim

FML wrote:
> Toolman Tim wrote:
>> FML wrote:

>>> When beancounters put a negative number in brackets, they are
>>> talking about <> (like <123.45>. On my version of Excel (2000) you
>>> have to create a custom format like "#,###.00_;<#,###.00>". I have
>>> no idea how to make it the default (or even if you can!)

>> No, you can't make it default. But you can select the whole
>> worksheet and format cells for that custom format. (Click on the
>> space above "1" and left of "A" to select the whole sheet, then
>> Ctrl-1 for format cells). But our office - bean counters included (we
>> have several <g>) use
>> parentheses for negs just like Excel, not < > (greater than, less
>> than - those have OTHER purposes in math then marking numbers a
>> negative.) Maybe that's because our guys are used to the computer
>> version of a ledger sheet?

> Go look at any manual books being kept by any bean counter over 45.
> You'll see the <> around all the negative numbers.

Heh - older than *ME*? Manual books? Those would be like, in the archives,
eh?

LIke I said - all our guys are doing this stuff on computers.

And for what it's worth, the version I have of Lotus (1-2-3 ME ver. 9)
doesn't do negatives in brackets, as Gordon had suggested earlier. In fact,
I can't get it to negatives in parentheses correctly either (if I turn on
the parentheses, it puts positive numbers inside them as well as negatives).

Mark

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 09:04:25 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Chris wrote:
>> Deos anyone know how to make Excel default to put negtive numbers in
>> brackets? This is normally used in bookkeeping and my wife wants to
>> start her own business

>Yes.
>
><http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html>

Anal about etiquette?

this is why A-holes turn into trolls.

Simple question deserves simple answer...

A Excel search of 'brackets negitive' results in directions to create
'CUSTOM' number formats.

Gordon

Mark wrote:

> A Excel search of 'brackets negitive' results in directions to create
> 'CUSTOM' number formats.

This is another example of MS not doing joined-up thinking - if you set
Regional settings in Windows to be negative numbers in brackets, then Excel
doesn't recognise that. if however you use Lotus 123, then it DOES recognise
that and uses it as the default!

Way to go you STUPID MS code writers!