Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PS2 (keyboard & mouse) to USB

PS2 (keyboard & mouse) to USB

Mobius

I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP). I'd
like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard & mouse
when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
anyway).

Can this be done reliably enough to work?

Toolman Tim

Mobius wrote:
> I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
> (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
> the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
> software most of the time anyway).
>
> Can this be done reliably enough to work?

Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go USB at
all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them back in when
you need them?

Mobius

news:qosUe.28957$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mobius wrote:
>> I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
>> (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
>> the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
>> software most of the time anyway).
>>
>> Can this be done reliably enough to work?

> Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go USB at
> all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them back in when
> you need them?

Can you do that (I've heard it can damage the motherboard)?

Gazwad

Toolman Tim, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the overjealous,
cheerless ice-cream seller, and hay and forage merchant, puled:

I always suspected you were a thick **** but that post really proves it.

--
Lunch was nice;

Noxious squirrel offal accentuated with nasty flea spinal cord under
monstrous tick abscess accentuated by frightful heads of lettuce and
cockatoo buttock marinade, cooked in a gurgling bucket chock full of big
whole artichoke in corrosive fresh blood, a side of pickles and a pitcher of
manatee thigh broth.

Toolman Tim

Mobius wrote:
> news:qosUe.28957$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mobius wrote:
>>> I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time
>>> (WinXP). I'd like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug
>>> the keyboard & mouse when not needed (I'd run the system by remote
>>> software most of the time anyway).
>>>
>>> Can this be done reliably enough to work?

>> Yes. But why not just get a USB keyboard and a USB mouse? Or why go
>> USB at all? Just unplug the PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and plug them
>> back in when you need them?
>>

> Can you do that (I've heard it can damage the motherboard)?

Only if you plug them in wrong...which is just as likely with a USB
connection. I swap keyboards and mice all the time with the systems running.

why?

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
m0b1us0099> wrote:

>I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP). I'd
>like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard & mouse
>when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
>anyway).
>
>Can this be done reliably enough to work?

It's done all the time, in 1 form or another.

A KVM switch, provides KM emulation , saves the worry you mentioned
about damage to mobo and the point about mixing connectors.

One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
http://www.aten.com/products/product...50224170053005
PS/2 Emulator
Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot
normally with or without a real keyboard and mouse connected.
Ends computer lockup due to loss of KVM focus
Prevents computer damage from keyboard failure
Hotplugging of keyboard and mouse
Keyboardless boot and run
Non-powered - uses computer's keyboard power source

None of the above, simply unplug / plugin cables as needed.

Me

Mobius

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
> m0b1us0099> wrote:
>
>>I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP).
>>I'd
>>like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard &
>>mouse
>>when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
>>anyway).
>>
>>Can this be done reliably enough to work?

> It's done all the time, in 1 form or another.
>
> A KVM switch, provides KM emulation , saves the worry you mentioned
> about damage to mobo and the point about mixing connectors.
>
> One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
> http://www.aten.com/products/product...50224170053005
> PS/2 Emulator
> Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
> microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot
> normally with or without a real keyboard and mouse connected.
> Ends computer lockup due to loss of KVM focus
> Prevents computer damage from keyboard failure
> Hotplugging of keyboard and mouse
> Keyboardless boot and run
> Non-powered - uses computer's keyboard power source
>

> None of the above, simply unplug / plugin cables as needed.

Thanks...if I go this rout I'll use this...now its just a question of
cost...is it easier to pay or just to stick the keyboard/mouse behind the
system against the wall.

why?

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 22:34:30 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
m0b1us0099> wrote:

>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 22:23:34 -0500, "Mobius" <com DOT yahoo AT
>> m0b1us0099> wrote:
>>
>>>I've got a computer that I'd like to leave running all the time (WinXP).
>>>I'd
>>>like to use a PS2-USB adapter for this so I can unplug the keyboard &
>>>mouse
>>>when not needed (I'd run the system by remote software most of the time
>>>anyway).

<snip>

>> One of these sort of things , a single port PS/2 KM emulator,
>> http://www.aten.com/products/product...50224170053005
>> PS/2 Emulator
>> Simply plug the CV-100KM into any computer and its onboard
>> microprocessor emulates an actual keyboard and mouse! Operate and boot

<snip>

>Thanks...if I go this rout I'll use this...now its just a question of
>cost...is it easier to pay or just to stick the keyboard/mouse behind the
>system against the wall.

The benefit of the emulator was automatically rebooted systems, without
getting errors, when it wasn't always possible to tell the POST to not
halt.

The cost was to the customer, for home I might consider using 1, however
what I tend to do nowdays is run PS/2 extension cables for KM round to
the front of the box. Still a cost initially, until I had enough but
very handy.

Me

PS2 top roller-ball mouse, need 6 pin to USB cable. Crazy88 Computer Support 12 06-13-2006 04:25 PM
PS2 (PlayStation 2) to USB? Kyle :o\) Computer Support 12 04-18-2006 03:23 AM
usb / ps2 Molecule Computer Support 8 02-22-2005 09:09 AM
PS2 Gamers -- Any USB Headset With Voice Command Games? Blinky the Shark Computer Support 3 09-13-2004 08:52 AM
PS2 to USB adaptor. Alasdair Baxter Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 04:40 PM

Advertisments