Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Remove Messenger Icon from OE Taskbar

Remove Messenger Icon from OE Taskbar

Savvy 1

How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the taskbar
when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated and OE 6.

S1

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=

Savvy 1 wrote:
> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the taskbar
> when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated and OE 6.
>
> S1

Go to OE's properties and choose not to run Messenger.

Savvy 1

"Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KGjUe.3154$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Savvy 1 wrote:
>> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the taskbar
>> when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated and OE 6.
>>
>> S1

> Go to OE's properties and choose not to run Messenger.

I'm not seeing where to do that. Also, I have several OE identities and the
Messenger icon appears in only one-- and with an X through it.

S1

Scraggy

Savvy 1 wrote:
> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KGjUe.3154$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Savvy 1 wrote:
>>> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the
>>> taskbar when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully
>>> updated and OE 6. S1

>> Go to OE's properties and choose not to run Messenger.

> I'm not seeing where to do that. Also, I have several OE identities
> and the Messenger icon appears in only one-- and with an X through it.
>
> S1

Tools>Options>General>Uncheck 'Automatically log on to Widows Messenger'

Ironic nym

members. Groucho Marx

Toolman Tim

Savvy 1 wrote:
> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the
> taskbar when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated
> and OE 6.
> S1

I usually go to c:\program files\messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to
msmsgs1.exe. Then I make a new shortcut so I can start Messenger manually
when I want to.

Savvy 1

"Scraggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Savvy 1 wrote:
>> "Brian H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:KGjUe.3154$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Go to OE's properties and choose not to run Messenger.

>> I'm not seeing where to do that. Also, I have several OE identities
>> and the Messenger icon appears in only one-- and with an X through it.
>>
>> S1

> Tools>Options>General>Uncheck 'Automatically log on to Widows Messenger'
>
> Ironic nym

That box is unchecked-- but the icon remains

S1

Savvy 1

news:VooUe.8255$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Savvy 1 wrote:
>> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the
>> taskbar when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated
>> and OE 6.
>> S1

> I usually go to c:\program files\messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to
> msmsgs1.exe. Then I make a new shortcut so I can start Messenger manually
> when I want to.

That worked! Thanks.

S1

Toolman Tim

Savvy 1 wrote:
> news:VooUe.8255$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Savvy 1 wrote:
>>> How do I prevent the Windows Messenger icon from appearing in the
>>> taskbar when using Outlook Express? Running WIN XP SP2 fully updated
>>> and OE 6.
>>> S1

>> I usually go to c:\program files\messenger and rename msmsgs.exe to
>> msmsgs1.exe. Then I make a new shortcut so I can start Messenger
>> manually when I want to.
>>

> That worked! Thanks.
>
> S1

You're welcome