Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How do I run a perl command on my web host?

How do I run a perl command on my web host?

vbMark

Hello,

I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.

I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
do something like Telnet in or what?

Thanks!

Get freeware
http://www.vbmark.com

Evan Platt

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 14:37:20 GMT, vbMark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
>the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.
>
>I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
>do something like Telnet in or what?

If you only have ftp and control panel access, you probably don't have
telnet access. You can try.

Dependinig on how your server is configured you may be able to run the
perl script from the browser, i.e. www.site.com/script.pl , but it
depends on the web server setup.

ITSO azionista

vbMark wrote the following on 9/8/2005 7:37 AM:
> Hello,
>
> I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access to
> the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.
>
> I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this? Do I
> do something like Telnet in or what?
>
> Thanks!

If you have a cgi-bin folder, drop the Perl script there, then reference
the script on your page.

--
The only easy day was yesterday.

ITSO azionista

ITSO azionista wrote the following on 9/8/2005 10:47 AM:
> vbMark wrote the following on 9/8/2005 7:37 AM:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am running my web site on a web host that I don't own or have access
>> to the server itself other than FTP and my control panel.
>>
>> I need to run a perl script from the command line. How do I do this?
>> Do I do something like Telnet in or what?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> If you have a cgi-bin folder, drop the Perl script there, then reference
> the script on your page.

Check that, I now noticed "from the command line."
If the only access you have is FTP and the host server's content
management system (Control Panel), you will probably not be able to run
a terminal/shell unless they provide such an interface in said Control
Panel, which is unlikely.
Perhaps your host provides SSH or Telnet access? You can ask them.

--
The only easy day was yesterday.