Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > English Dictionaries

English Dictionaries

Synapse Syndrome

I've got a couple. I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary, but I've seemed
to have lost the CD a long time ago. Now I use Collins English Talking
Dictionary, which sits in the system tray in a similar way; but to be quite
frank, it's a bit weird. It has games and crosswords, which I don't need as
I'm not a learner. It also has no thesaurus. I got it on the front of a
magazine.

http://www.intense.co.uk/doc-pic/office/frameset.htm

Does anybody know of an English (not American English) dictionary with
thesaurus that sits in the system tray that they would recommend? I am not
interested in Web based dictionaries.

ss.

old jon

"Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dfn1vn$e1j$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> I've got a couple. I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary, but I've
> seemed to have lost the CD a long time ago. Now I use Collins English
> Talking Dictionary, which sits in the system tray in a similar way; but to
> be quite frank, it's a bit weird. It has games and crosswords, which I
> don't need as I'm not a learner. It also has no thesaurus. I got it on
> the front of a magazine.
>
> http://www.intense.co.uk/doc-pic/office/frameset.htm
>
> Does anybody know of an English (not American English) dictionary with
> thesaurus that sits in the system tray that they would recommend? I am
> not interested in Web based dictionaries.
> ss.

Hi ss. found this site free for home use. Worth a try, for free ?.
http://wordweb.info/free/
best wishes..OJ

Gazwad

Synapse Syndrome, <(E-Mail Removed)>, the gelatinous,
wiggly dope, and operator of the beetling machine, dodged:

> I've got a couple. I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary, but I've
> seemed to have lost the CD a long time ago. Now I use Collins
> English Talking Dictionary, which sits in the system tray in a
> similar way; but to be quite frank, it's a bit weird. It has games
> and crosswords, which I don't need as I'm not a learner. It also has
> no thesaurus. I got it on the front of a magazine.
>
> http://www.intense.co.uk/doc-pic/office/frameset.htm
>
> Does anybody know of an English (not American English) dictionary with
> thesaurus that sits in the system tray that they would recommend? I
> am not interested in Web based dictionaries.
>
> ss.

I use wordweb.

--
Lunch was nice;

Ghoulish live rat embryos and foreskin vinaigrette gross on top of dried
prairie dog cancer, dished up in a turbid bucket with a slew of chilled
pieces of chestnut in rat ****, a side of cheese and a bucket of rat vomit
broth.

Synapse Syndrome

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KVFTe.9884$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Synapse Syndrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dfn1vn$e1j$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>
>> I've got a couple. I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary, but I've
>> seemed to have lost the CD a long time ago. Now I use Collins English
>> Talking Dictionary, which sits in the system tray in a similar way; but
>> to be quite frank, it's a bit weird. It has games and crosswords, which
>> I don't need as I'm not a learner. It also has no thesaurus. I got it
>> on the front of a magazine.
>>
>> http://www.intense.co.uk/doc-pic/office/frameset.htm
>>
>> Does anybody know of an English (not American English) dictionary with
>> thesaurus that sits in the system tray that they would recommend? I am
>> not interested in Web based dictionaries.
>> ss.

> Hi ss. found this site free for home use. Worth a try, for free ?.
> http://wordweb.info/free/
> best wishes..OJ

This looks ideal, thanks.

ss.

Lin Chung

Synapse Syndrome wrote:
> ...I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary...Now I use Collins English
> Talking Dictionary...Does anybody know of an English (not American
> English) dictionary with thesaurus that sits in the system tray that they
> would recommend? I am not interested in Web based dictionaries.

I have found these two *British* English dictionaries very user friendly:

1) Monolingual English Dictionary in the WordReference series
---http://www.wordreference.com/

2) Collins COBUILD
---http://writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej25/m1.html
---http://www.elearnaid.com/colcoboncdro1.html
---Highly recommended for non-native speakers of English, i.e.English
---as a Second Language (ESL)
---It is my standard book of reference. The COED is too cumbersome.

WordWeb though quick and simple to use is unfortunately in American English.

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Maurice Byrne

good old microsoft word has a dictionary , if you dont have it check out
www.download.com for a free dictionary . i'm sure there are loads.

newscaUe.5175$(E-Mail Removed)...

Maurice Byrne wrote:
> Lin Chung wrote:
> > Synapse Syndrome wrote:
> > > ...I used to use Oxford Talking Dictionary...Now I use Collins
> > > English Talking Dictionary...Does anybody know of an English
> > > (not American English) dictionary with thesaurus that sits in the
> > > system tray that they would recommend? I am not interested
> > > in Web based dictionaries.

> > 1) Monolingual English Dictionary in the WordReference series
> > 2) Collins COBUILD
> > WordWeb though quick and simple to use is unfortunately in
> > American English.

> good old microsoft word has a dictionary , if you dont have it check
> out www.download.com for a free dictionary . i'm sure there are loads.

I could not find any English dictionary on the presenting linked page.

The OP asked for a recommendation of a British English dictionary with
thesaurus, whcih could be opened with an icon in the Notification Area.
While it is true that there are many English dictionaries, some of which are
even free, there cannot be more than a handful that meet the requirements
the OP has set for himself. The two recommendations have come from a user's
personal experience. (Incidentally, the WordReference English dictionary is
based on the Collins COBUILD). A further justification is explained in the
first link under the COBUILD header.

The OP did not ask for *any* "old" "free" dictionary, of which you are sure,
and, if I am not mistaken from the general tone of his prose the OP is also
aware, that "there are loads". Any old free dictionary is the wrong answer.

--
Lin Chung
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

spanish student spanish student is offline
Junior Member
Location: Iran

Hey everyone , I've just registered here and I found it really useful .
Here I got a problem. I bought a " French in action " software a few years ago and I'd like to know if there is a software for it's spanish ?
P.S : I have checked some sites but I couldn't get a proper answer !
I will be really grateful if someone gives a reply !