Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Office Update breaks IE 6

Office Update breaks IE 6

Steve Freides

Running the nearly-latest XP with virus, spyware, etc. protection. Did
an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

way. Please contact the applications support team for mroe information.

Very odd in that my home page is about:blank so it's not trying to open
anything - it doesn't even get that far.

Since I can't run IE, I can't perform a WindowsUpdate, either.

Any thoughts on what to try next?

TIA.

-S-

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:

> Did an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.

> Any thoughts on what to try next?

After you uninstall the update, see if IE needs repairing. If you can't
uninstall the update in MS's infinite wisdom, repair IE without
uninstalling the update.

--
Mike Easter

Steve Freides

How does one see if IE needs repairing, and/or repair it?

-S-

news:431e0541$0$95323$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Steve Freides wrote:
>
>> Did an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:
>>
>> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.
>
>> Any thoughts on what to try next?

> After you uninstall the update, see if IE needs repairing. If you can't
> uninstall the update in MS's infinite wisdom, repair IE without
> uninstalling the update.
>

> --
> Mike Easter

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:
> How does one see if IE needs repairing, and/or repair it?

It is hard to see what it is you are talking about or who you are
talking to or what they said that you are replying to because you posted
some words up there in the air while pushing everything else down below
your very important words up there without any trimming or
contextualization, but...

.... you don't 'see if IE needs repairing'.

You say - "Repair IE" and then the process begins, whatever that might
be.

This is windows, not linux.

To repair IE, [I'm a Win98 person, not XP, so make the necessary
adjustments where appropriate] you access add/remove programs and select
IE and click the add/remove button. Then you are given 3 choices, add a
component, repair IE, or restore the previous configuration. You choose
repair and then win does whatever win does.

--
Mike Easter

Steve Freides

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running the nearly-latest XP with virus, spyware, etc. protection.
> Did an update for MS Office, now IE won't run - terminates with:
>
> Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
>
> Runtime Error!
>
> Program C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
>
> This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
> unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for mroe
> information.
>

> Very odd in that my home page is about:blank so it's not trying to
> open anything - it doesn't even get that far.
>
> Since I can't run IE, I can't perform a WindowsUpdate, either.
>
> Any thoughts on what to try next?
>
> TIA.
>
> -S-

I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does precisely
the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

-S-

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:
> I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
> precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about uninstalling
the update that caused the problem in the first place.

Mike Easter wrote:
> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.

--
Mike Easter

Steve Freides

news:431e4857$0$71461$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
> Steve Freides wrote:
>> I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
>> precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

> You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about uninstalling
> the update that caused the problem in the first place.
>
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would think.

I see no way to do that.

Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually worked,
so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes anything.

-S_

Steve Freides

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:431e4857$0$71461$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
>> Steve Freides wrote:
>>> I removed, then reinstalled Internet Explorer - it still does
>>> precisely the same thing, no change in behavior whatsoever.

>> You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about
>> uninstalling
>> the update that caused the problem in the first place.
>>
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would
>>> think.

> I see no way to do that.
>
> Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually
> worked, so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes anything.

Fixed nothing, except that by going in this way, I can at least have a
functioning browser. But just starting IE from my desktop shortcut for
it doesn't work - it still gives that error message.

-S-

Steve Freides

"Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Steve Freides" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:431e4857$0$71461$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...
>>>
>>> You didn't say anything about the #1 recommendation about
>>> uninstalling
>>> the update that caused the problem in the first place.

>> I see no way to do that.
>>
>> Clicking "Windows Update" from inside the Control Panel actually
>> worked, so I'm doing all that now. We'll see if that fixes
>> anything.

> Fixed nothing, except that by going in this way, I can at least have a
> functioning browser. But just starting IE from my desktop shortcut
> for it doesn't work - it still gives that error message.

A further update - I noticed the WindowsUpdate IE window did not have
Google Toolbar. I went into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and
removed Google Toolbar, after which my system seems to behave normally.

I will try to find a place to report this to Google.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Mike Easter

Steve Freides wrote:

>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>> 'Back up' and uninstall the office update, if you can, I would
>>> think.

> I see no way to do that.

Exactly what update are we talking about? If you go back to where you
got the update you might be able to figure out if it is uninstallable.
Or you might be able to see the update # inside an office app like Word
in the About, or you might be able to see it in the add/remove programs,
or you might be able to see it in the system information, which in W98
has hardware resources, components, software environment [which has
software updates in it], internet explorer, and MS Office sections.

Is this Office XP or some other v?

--
Mike Easter