Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > uh...oh..blue screen

uh...oh..blue screen

MB_

In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly shut
down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure and a
protective shutdown.

I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.

It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.

In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
(in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
greatly improved.

The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The fan
seems to be working.

I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might it
have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that is
unlikely to repeat itself? Or...

Mel

Marc Hulsebosch

Try running memtest86 for a while to see if there's a problem with the
memory.

Marc

MB_ wrote:
> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly shut
> down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure and a
> protective shutdown.
>
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>
> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
> (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
> recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
> greatly improved.
>
> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The fan
> seems to be working.
>
> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
> Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might it
> have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that is
> unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>
> Mel

MB_

What is memtest 86?

Mel
"Marc Hulsebosch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:431de3f9$0$754$(E-Mail Removed). nl...
> Try running memtest86 for a while to see if there's a problem with the
> memory.
>
> Marc
>
> MB_ wrote:
>> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly
>> shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure
>> and a protective shutdown.
>>
>> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
>> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>>
>> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
>> (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
>> recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
>> greatly improved.
>>
>> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The
>> fan seems to be working.
>>
>> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
>> Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might
>> it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that
>> is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>>
>> Mel

MB_

I guess it's clear by the name what it is.

Is it appropriate to use on an XP Home system?

Mel
"Marc Hulsebosch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:431de3f9$0$754$(E-Mail Removed). nl...
> Try running memtest86 for a while to see if there's a problem with the
> memory.
>
> Marc
>
> MB_ wrote:
>> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly
>> shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure
>> and a protective shutdown.
>>
>> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
>> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>>
>> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
>> (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
>> recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
>> greatly improved.
>>
>> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The
>> fan seems to be working.
>>
>> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
>> Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might
>> it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that
>> is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>>
>> Mel

FML

MB_ wrote:
> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly shut
> down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware failure and a
> protective shutdown.
>
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>
> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys router
> (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to have
> recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has been
> greatly improved.
>
> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The fan
> seems to be working.
>
> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working fine.
> Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty?? Or might it
> have something to do with the router? Or is it just some anomaly that is
> unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>
> Mel

Many BSODs are caused by faulty RAM. I would highly doubt that the
router had anything to do with it. If I were you, I'd leave it alone (it
could be a one time thing) for now. If it happens again, I would remove
the new RAM and reinstall it making sure it was properly seated in the
slot. If that doesn't correct it, I'd remove the new RAM and run without
it for a while. If the BSOD doesn't occur without the new RAM installed,
then that would pretty much point to the new RAM being bad.

WormWood

"MB_" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UllTe.7153$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive suddenly
> shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some hardware
> failure and a protective shutdown.
>
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>
> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>
> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys
> router (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to
> have recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has
> been greatly improved.
>
> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened. The
> fan seems to be working.
>
> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working
> fine. Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty??
> Or might it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some
> anomaly that is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>
> Mel

I believe you were instructed to reboot so that the OS (you didn't say
what but I'd guess XP) could fix a hardware incompatibility and that
you'll be ok now. If it happens again, see your administrator )

WormWood

"WormWood" wrote:

> "MB_" wrote:
>> In the middle of doing something innocuous, my computer drive
>> suddenly shut down with a blue-screened message indicating some
>> hardware failure and a protective shutdown.
>>
>> I have a Dell Dim 2400 with XP Home.
>>
>> It said if this is the first time reboot. If not call my system
>> administrator. Well, this is just a home computer.
>>
>> In the last few days I've added 256 MB RAM and installed a Linksys
>> router (in preparation for a laptop I ordered). The computer seems to
>> have recognized the additional memory and in fact the performance has
>> been greatly improved.
>>
>> The computer had only been on about 20 minutes when this happened.
>> The fan seems to be working.
>>
>> I have rebooted and its been on about 35 minutes and all is working
>> fine. Anybody have an idea?? Could the additional memory be faulty??
>> Or might it have something to do with the router? Or is it just some
>> anomaly that is unlikely to repeat itself? Or...
>>
>> Mel

> I believe you were instructed to reboot so that the OS you didn't say

what but I'd guess XP)

Sorry, you *did say XP Home....arrgh....
<snip>

Walter Mautner

MB_ wrote:

> What is memtest 86?

http://www.memtest86.com/
Now what is google?

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Marc Hulsebosch

You should use the iso to make a bootable CD, and run it for one night.

Marc