Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP SP2 Activation

XP SP2 Activation

Thip

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2005-09-06, Thip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> I know that, technically, this version of XP doesn't "belong" to this
>> computer, but as far as I'm concerned, I bought it and it's mine. Now,
>> my
>> question is this: Is there a workaround for the activation for SP2? I
>> don't want to go through this again!

> On a purely factual point, you did not buy any software from Microsoft and
> what you have does not belong to you. Microsoft don't seem to sell
> software at all, ever, not to anyone. They made their fortune by not
> selling software.

LOL!

I wonder if I can make a fortune by not going to work then?

Whiskers

On 2005-09-07, Thip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

snip

>> On a purely factual point, you did not buy any software from Microsoft and
>> what you have does not belong to you. Microsoft don't seem to sell
>> software at all, ever, not to anyone. They made their fortune by not
>> selling software.

> LOL!
>
> I wonder if I can make a fortune by not going to work then?

Your employer pays you for your labour. He does not own you, any more than
you own the software on your computer. If you can get enough people to pay
you for 'being available' without actually requiring you to do anything,
then yes, you can indeed make a fortune by not going to work. Ask a lawyer
about 'retainers' - or a software house about 'licences', or a writer about
'royalties', or a politician about 'consultancies'. Of course, you do have
to do quite a lot of preparatory work before reaching that blissful state.

Another route is to inherit wealth and/or power, and be paid for allowing
other people to use your money or your land or for being allowed to remain
unmolested by your 'heavies'. Microsoft are very close to the point of
moving into that mode; when they start asking you for money so that you can
access your own data, they'll be there.

--
-- Whiskers