Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connecting Automatically

Connecting Automatically

Malcolm William Mason

Hi All

I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2

Ad-aware (Lavasoft) informed me that they had an update to use.

I, dutifully, downloaded , installed and ran a scan.

When I had finished I was no longer connected to my ISP (I have a DSL).
What is more I could not reconnect..

MY ISP (ATT) walked me through a reconnection but left me so that each
time I re-boot or IPL , I must click on the ATT icon and wait some more
when it used to connect until today without that extra click on ATT.

I would really like to return to the automatic connection
..

would someone please help?

Malcolm

jils

use xp's system restore to take your computer back to a time before you
updated adaware.

Malcolm William Mason wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Ad-aware (Lavasoft) informed me that they had an update to use.
>
> I, dutifully, downloaded , installed and ran a scan.
>
> When I had finished I was no longer connected to my ISP (I have a DSL).
> What is more I could not reconnect..
>
> MY ISP (ATT) walked me through a reconnection but left me so that each
> time I re-boot or IPL , I must click on the ATT icon and wait some more
> when it used to connect until today without that extra click on ATT.
>
> I would really like to return to the automatic connection
> .
>
> would someone please help?
>
> Malcolm

BC

Or you can go the quarantine folder and restore the last clean up.
Then try to remove the entries one by one and test your connection.
Once you have found which was the problem, put an exception on it.
That would be provided that:
- the ad aware scan and removal caused that problem
- ad-aware mis-judged the entry

"Malcolm William Mason" <mwm1(spam)@JHU.edu> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2
>
> Ad-aware (Lavasoft) informed me that they had an update to use.
>
> I, dutifully, downloaded , installed and ran a scan.
>
> When I had finished I was no longer connected to my ISP (I have a DSL).
> What is more I could not reconnect..
>
> MY ISP (ATT) walked me through a reconnection but left me so that each
> time I re-boot or IPL , I must click on the ATT icon and wait some more
> when it used to connect until today without that extra click on ATT.
>
> I would really like to return to the automatic connection
> .
>
> would someone please help?
>
> Malcolm

Malcolm William Mason

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 07:56:53 +1000, jils <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Malcolm William Mason wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> I am running Windows XP Pro with SP2
>>
>> Ad-aware (Lavasoft) informed me that they had an update to use.
>>
>> I, dutifully, downloaded , installed and ran a scan.
>>
>> When I had finished I was no longer connected to my ISP (I have a DSL).
>> What is more I could not reconnect..
>>
>> MY ISP (ATT) walked me through a reconnection but left me so that each
>> time I re-boot or IPL , I must click on the ATT icon and wait some more
>> when it used to connect until today without that extra click on ATT.
>>
>> I would really like to return to the automatic connection
>> .
>>
>> would someone please help?
>>
>> Malcolm

>>>use xp's system restore to take your computer back to a time before you
>>>updated adaware.

If I use XP's restore, will this not also put me back with the old
Ad-aware build. It is no longer supported. It will not update its
definitions.

What I want to know is what to do to get the DSL to hookup each time
that I boot up.

By the way, at one time the pc was configured so that the DSL was always
connected. I just logged on to what was already there. Can I get to
that arrangement?

Malcolm