Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How can I put old programs on floppy to CD and still install them ?

Reply
Thread Tools

How can I put old programs on floppy to CD and still install them ?

 
 
Craig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
floppies that I use to install the program.

Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,

How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
program properly.

Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
work from CD.

Thanks
Craig

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
see.cher@your.place
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
my experience is there is no single answer.
You need to figure out how the program works.
You need to look and see if there are any BAT, INI, or CFG that direct
the program to look on the A: drive and repoint them. The best
pointing would be to leave out the drive letter cause that can change.
But then that might not work.
I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the
appropriate folder. Burn to cdrw and try it.
If the programmer was a little brain dead and hard coded the floppy
installer for the A; drive then it becomes a LITTLE more difficult.

good luck.



On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
>floppies that I use to install the program.
>
> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
>
> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
>program properly.
>
> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
>work from CD.
>
> Thanks
> Craig


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:
> my experience is there is no single answer.
> You need to figure out how the program works.
> You need to look and see if there are any BAT, INI, or CFG that direct
> the program to look on the A: drive and repoint them. The best
> pointing would be to leave out the drive letter cause that can change.
> But then that might not work.
> I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
> etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the
> appropriate folder. Burn to cdrw and try it.
> If the programmer was a little brain dead and hard coded the floppy
> installer for the A; drive then it becomes a LITTLE more difficult.


That's a fact <g>

Another strategy that often works, is to dump the files from all the
floppies into one folder. Obviously, this won't work if they used the same
filename(s) on more than one floppy disk. That really is uncommon though.
Oh - and sometimes they actually use the volume name on the media to
determine if the correct disk is in the drive. That really sucks <g> and
there isn't much you can do about it.

I have done this with a couple versions of MS Access (1.x and 2.x) and made
it work. So, since Foxpro is a MS product, it is quite likely the OP will be
successful.

> good luck.


Ditto ;o)

>
> On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
>> floppies that I use to install the program.
>>
>> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
>>
>> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
>> program properly.
>>
>> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
>> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that
>> to work from CD.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Craig




 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:
>
> I would first try putting each floppy in a folder "disk1", "disk2",
> etc. If there are pointers on each disk you can try repointing to the


It's been so long but I put the win3x floppies on a cd once way back and
yes, you had to look at the lable of each disk and then lable each
folder as you said, disk1, etc. Many people had 2 floppy drives at the
time, perhaps A: was the 5 1/4 and B: was the 1.44 so many programs
didnt look for drive A:, but rather the label on the disk.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shawn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005

"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
> floppies that I use to install the program.
>
> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
>
> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
> program properly.
>
> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
> work from CD.
>
> Thanks
> Craig
>


id say throw all files on a cd and try the install from the new disc you
made, if it works then it works


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trax
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
"Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
|>floppies that I use to install the program.
|>
|> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
|>
|> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
|>program properly.
|>
|> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
|> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
|>work from CD.

Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

To crack it you need'd to use: LABEL " "
Not sure how you'd do this with them on a CD

When installing the programs and if it does require A:\ to install,
you can use DOSBOX and mount your cd directory as A:\
http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1
--

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Unk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
On 4 Sep 2005 19:14:40 -0700, "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
>floppies that I use to install the program.
>
> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
>
> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
>program properly.
>
> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that to
>work from CD.
>
> Thanks
> Craig


Insert disk number one of the install set in the floppy drive.
Double click "My Computer", right-click the floppy drive and select "Properties"
At the top of the window that opens, by the icon of a floppy drive, is a box. Note the EXACT
name in the box and write it down. From your description, it should be "disk 1".
Repeat, until you've written down the names of the six floppies.

Double click "My Computer" and your C drive. Right-click a blank spot, select "New Folder" and
call it "FoxPro". Now double-click the new folder "FoxPro", right-click a blank spot, select
"New Folder", and rename it to the 1st floppies name. Repeat until you have created all six
folders named disk 1, to disk 6, then minimize the window to the taskbar.


Insert disk number one of the install set in the floppy drive.
Double click "My Computer", double-click the floppy drive, select Edit, "Select All", Edit,
"Copy". (You can also use Cntl+a then Cntl+c)
Bring up the the folder "FoxPro", double-click "disk 1", select Edit, "Paste" (You can use
Cntl+v). Repeat until you have copied all six floppies to their respective folder names in the
C:\FoxPro\ folder.

When you're done, you should have copies of the floppies, in separate folders, in the main
folder named "FoxPro"

You can install the program from this folder, or burn the "FoxPro" folder to a CD.
When installing the program, when it asks for disk 2, just point it to the proper drive and
folder name. Example C:\FoxPro\disk 2\ or E:\FoxPro\disk 2\ (where E:\ is the CD Rom Drive.)

On most of those older programs, you could copy the contents of all the floppies to a single
folder and install from there. If it asked for disk 2, just press enter.
If there were duplicate filenames, most of the time they were junk like "ReadMe.txt" and could
be ignored. Try copying all the floppy's files to the single new folder "FoxPro" first. If
there were no significent duplicates, that's all you need to do.










 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
Trax wrote:
> "Craig" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> For example, I still use FoxPro 2.6 a lot and they are on about 6
>>> floppies that I use to install the program.
>>>
>>> Most likely my next computer wont have a floppy drive,
>>>
>>> How should I put these onto a CD and still be able to install the
>>> program properly.
>>>
>>> Would the install for FoxPro always need to look in the A drive ?
>>> And when it says to install disk 3 for example, how can I get that
>>> to work from CD.

>
> Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
> do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
> that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).


What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.

> To crack it you need'd to use: LABEL " "
> Not sure how you'd do this with them on a CD
>
> When installing the programs and if it does require A:\ to install,
> you can use DOSBOX and mount your cd directory as A:\
> http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1




--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Trax
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>> Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your floppy,
|>> do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if it's blank
|>> that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

|>What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of times.

Yep, most folks would format a disk then copy or xcopy the disk to the
new floppy and it wouldn't work, you need'd to rename the label. I've
had to do this, for back-up purposes...
--

Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-05-2005
Trax wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>> Good info from the rest - to add, put one of the disk in your
>>>> floppy, do a dir on it and look at the volume (label) name, if
>>>> it's blank that's it's copy protection. (Dos 5 and 6 had this).

>
>>> What copy protection on DOS? I copied those floppies dozens of
>>> times.

>
> Yep, most folks would format a disk then copy or xcopy the disk to the
> new floppy and it wouldn't work, you need'd to rename the label. I've
> had to do this, for back-up purposes...


Oh. I just just used diskcopy...silly me <g>

--
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can load drivers onto floppy disc and install on another comp.? John Ritchie Computer Information 2 08-07-2007 09:11 AM
Compacting 5,000 Messages, Moving Them To A Google Account, And Burning Them Onto A CD Martin Computer Support 9 01-14-2007 09:33 PM
Doh! How do ya write a floppy disc image onto a floppy disc? Mr Undeniably Sluttish NZ Computing 6 12-29-2005 12:47 AM
Is there a way to save my programs and still do a fresh install of winxp . Chuck S Computer Support 1 01-06-2004 01:50 PM
I want to learn how programs are written and how they work and how to open them and play around with there coding Chuck S Computer Support 5 06-30-2003 11:13 PM



Advertisments