Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how do I play a WAV file

how do I play a WAV file

see.cher@your.place

I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.

How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
that and it just opens waiting.

thanks

SgtMinor

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:

> I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
> NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
> It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
>
> How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
> that and it just opens waiting.
>
> thanks

WMP messed it up eh?

If you have a player on your system, right click on the .wav file select
"Open with" next choose program, scroll down to the program you want and
select it. Be sure to place a tick in the box marked "Always use this
program to open these files."

trout

(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:

> I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
> NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
> It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
>
> How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
> that and it just opens waiting.
>
> thanks

Go to Folder Options; File types, and double-click Wave. In the
properties, you should make sure that you have "Play" as the default
(rather than Open).
If you edit the properties for the Play command, it should look
something like:
"sndrec32.exe /play /close"
--
For example.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
> NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
> It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things up.
>
> How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
> that and it just opens waiting.

Everything depends on the program that you set to handle each specific
filename extension.
All you need to do is assign the tool you want to run WAV to the file
type WAV, and you're done.

I don't know from your note which program that would be.

see.cher@your.place

Thanks y'all.
The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it used
to be where I could specify /play /close.

Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.

Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:

> Thanks y'all.
> The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
> from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it used
> to be where I could specify /play /close.
>
> Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.
>
> Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

What's the Operating System?

> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:52:40 GMT, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to click on a WAV file and have it play
>>> NOT open WMP or other program and sit there waiting for me.
>>> It used to work this way in the old days before WMP messed things
>>> up.
>>>
>>> How do I accomplish this??????? - maybe with sndrec32 - but I tried
>>> that and it just opens waiting.

>> Everything depends on the program that you set to handle each
>> specific filename extension.
>> All you need to do is assign the tool you want to run WAV to the file
>> type WAV, and you're done.
>>
>> I don't know from your note which program that would be.

see.cher@your.place

It's XP

this is this entry under
HKCR\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open\command
"C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "%1"

I tried this
"C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "/play /close" "%1"

but that does the same thing as previous.
I can put this in RUN and it will do exactly what I want it to do.
sndrec32 /play /close chimes.wav

How can I make it work in the registry???

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:54:58 -0700, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> Thanks y'all.
>> The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
>> from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it used
>> to be where I could specify /play /close.
>>
>> Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.
>>
>> Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

> What's the Operating System?
>
>> On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 23:52:40 GMT, Mitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Everything depends on the program that you set to handle each
>>> specific filename extension.
>>> All you need to do is assign the tool you want to run WAV to the file
>>> type WAV, and you're done.
>>>
>>> I don't know from your note which program that would be.

Toolman Tim

Skip the registry - go back to the folder options, file types, find the wav
extension, select it, click on advanced, click on play, click on edit. Put
the "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" /play /close "%1" in the application
line. PLEASE NOTE I removed the quotes from around /play /close. See if that
helps.

(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:
> It's XP
>
> this is this entry under
> HKCR\Applications\sndrec32.exe\shell\open\command
> "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "%1"
>
> I tried this
> "C:\Windows\System32\sndrec32" "/play /close" "%1"
>
> but that does the same thing as previous.
> I can put this in RUN and it will do exactly what I want it to do.
> sndrec32 /play /close chimes.wav
>
> How can I make it work in the registry???
>
> On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 18:54:58 -0700, "trout" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed)e wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks y'all.
>>> The answer I was looking for, which I was trying to implement, was
>>> from trout. only problem is that the window I get is not like it
>>> used to be where I could specify /play /close.
>>>
>>> Old billy changed something and I can't do that there.
>>>
>>> Anyone know where to change the registry for this to work?????????//

>> What's the Operating System?

see.cher@your.place

I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
There is no ADVANCE button.
Is there a way to get the old window back?

(E-Mail Removed)e wrote:

> I would have done that long ago, as I have in the past, but that
> function is no longer available on this XP SP2 window.
> There is no ADVANCE button.
> Is there a way to get the old window back?

Sorry, I don't use XP. But you can't do this through just the "edit"
options?
Are you unable to edit the properties of the file type, or the
properties of the command?