Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Soundcard

Soundcard

John Lord

Just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and installed in this
morning and everything seemed fine. But on rebooting the "windows xp"
banner comes up with the progress bar and then monitor reports no signal?!
the hardisk sounds like it's still working in the background but no display
on the monitor. Sometimes the system disk couldn't be found? but i could
mange to boot in safe mode. I've unistall the card and done a sytem restore
and things now seem ok.

I have a Pentium 4 3ghz with 1 gig Ram
Windows XP SP2
NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
160 gig hd
AOpen DUW 1608/ARR

Does anyone know what could be going wrong please?

Could it be my PSU can't cope?

Any advice would be great.

thanks

John

Trax

"John Lord" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Just bought a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS and installed in this
|>morning and everything seemed fine. But on rebooting the "windows xp"
|>banner comes up with the progress bar and then monitor reports no signal?!
|>the hardisk sounds like it's still working in the background but no display
|>on the monitor. Sometimes the system disk couldn't be found? but i could
|>mange to boot in safe mode. I've unistall the card and done a sytem restore
|>and things now seem ok.
|>
|>I have a Pentium 4 3ghz with 1 gig Ram
|>Windows XP SP2
|>NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT
|>160 gig hd
|>AOpen DUW 1608/ARR
|>

|>Does anyone know what could be going wrong please?

Hardware conflict
Enter your bios and see what you can do to set an IRQ for whatever
gets you going - Sound Blaster tries to default to IRQ5 (at least the
older ones).

Sometimes pulling cards and placing one in, booting up, shutdown, put
another in, works. Even different slots can make a difference.

Some BIOS have a reset option for hardware changes.

|>Could it be my PSU can't cope?

Can't rule it out, but the progress bar indicates drivers being loaded
and seeing as you lose your video card at that point, a Hardware (IRQ)
problem.

--
New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/US/09/02/nagin.transcript/

John Lord

thanks trax, will give your ideas ago and see how i go on.

thanks again

john

news:(E-Mail Removed)...