Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > toshiba laptop no screen

toshiba laptop no screen

Tim Bell

got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no screen. it
quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get it back or am I
sol?

Dave

Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
Possible backlight broken?

"Tim Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vggSe.20436$(E-Mail Removed)...
> got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no screen. it
> quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get it back or am I
> sol?

Toolman Tim

Dave wrote:
> Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
> Possible backlight broken?
>
> "Tim Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vggSe.20436$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no
>> screen. it quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get
>> it back or am I sol?

I just had to have a backlight repair job on my Sony. Cost near $200 (still
less than a replacement LCD). I won't recommend the company that did the
work though. They took 5 weeks, never returned my calls, shipped the
computer back with the lid latch not working (it was when I shipped it) and
the case was reassembled incorrectly. I fixed the latch and case myself.

The area I live in is small and has no companies with the ability to repair
LCDs, so I shipped it. Maybe the OP will have better luck if there is
someone local to deal with.

Tim Bell

tried plugging into an external monitor. on power up the windows XP screen
came on until the music sounded then the monitor went blank. circuitry or fl
inverter?
news:nyjSe.23195$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave wrote:
>> Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
>> Possible backlight broken?
>>
>> "Tim Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vggSe.20436$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no
>>> screen. it quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get
>>> it back or am I sol?

> I just had to have a backlight repair job on my Sony. Cost near $200
> (still less than a replacement LCD). I won't recommend the company that
> did the work though. They took 5 weeks, never returned my calls, shipped
> the computer back with the lid latch not working (it was when I shipped
> it) and the case was reassembled incorrectly. I fixed the latch and case
> myself.
>
> The area I live in is small and has no companies with the ability to
> repair LCDs, so I shipped it. Maybe the OP will have better luck if there
> is someone local to deal with.
>
> --
> Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Toolman Tim

It's hard to say - I would guess that your monitor went blank because of a
refresh rate or resolution problem. Some setting is too high for the monitor
you plugged in. Try booting with the monitor in safe mode, and setting the
resolution/refresh to a lower level - 800x600 at 60Hz - and rebooting.

Basically, if you any screen on the monitor at all, it would seem the video
circuitry in the computer is working. Then when Windows gets to the higher
resolution screens, the monitor can't handle it so it blanks out.

That would indicate that your laptop video display card is at least working,
and narrows down the problem to be most likely one of three things: the CCFL
(cold cathode fluorescent lamps) or the inverter (converts the DC in the
computer to AC to run the lamps - the inverter is cheap, replacing the CCFLs
is not), and it is also possible that the LCD unit is totally blown.

When my screen went black, I could lean it all the way back, and see the
Windows screens on the LCD - kind of like a reflection. Take a look and see
if yours does the same. Mine was the CCFLs gone out.

Tim Bell wrote:
> tried plugging into an external monitor. on power up the windows XP
> screen came on until the music sounded then the monitor went blank.
> circuitry or fl inverter?
> news:nyjSe.23195$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
>>> Possible backlight broken?

cj ibanez cj ibanez is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell
got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no screen. it
quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get it back or am I
sol?
Just had the same problem and fixed it. On the lower portion of your lap top screen is an (FL inverter) You have to remove the boarder around your screen. The FL inverter is a little card which controls the lighting for the screen. I read that this is a common problem with Toshiba. I just replaced mine and it works. I found this information by going to google and typed in....Toshiba laptop blank screen.
This is an easy fix. The part, though cost me $100.
GOOD LUCK--

Jdiquattro Jdiquattro is offline
Junior Member

I know this is coming in late, but I wanted to get this out there for anyone else that has this same problem. I experienced this early on and found a fix. The problem I had was that the screen just blacked out, but everything was still running. To fix...

Go to control panel and pull up the power options. Click on "Change Plan Settings" for the power plan you are using (should be balanced or power saver). Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings". Expand "processor power management". Change the minimum and maximum processor state both to 100%. This fixed it once and for all. I'm pretty sure you'll suffer some battery life, but your screen won't go black on you anymore.

Jon

sartain sartain is offline
Junior Member

Most computers that come into my shop with broken screens are fixed for just over $200
Go to my site to contact me www.sartaincomputers.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bell View Post
tried plugging into an external monitor. on power up the windows XP screen
came on until the music sounded then the monitor went blank. circuitry or fl
inverter?
news:nyjSe.23195$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dave wrote:
>> Have you tried plugging a normal monitor into it to check its ok?
>> Possible backlight broken?
>>
>> "Tim Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:vggSe.20436$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> got a Toshiba laptop that I can hear booting up but there is no
>>> screen. it quit while playing a game. any suggestions on how to get
>>> it back or am I sol?

> I just had to have a backlight repair job on my Sony. Cost near $200
> (still less than a replacement LCD). I won't recommend the company that
> did the work though. They took 5 weeks, never returned my calls, shipped
> the computer back with the lid latch not working (it was when I shipped
> it) and the case was reassembled incorrectly. I fixed the latch and case
> myself.
>
> The area I live in is small and has no companies with the ability to
> repair LCDs, so I shipped it. Maybe the OP will have better luck if there
> is someone local to deal with.
>
> --
> Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.

Tierneyeom Tierneyeom is offline
Junior Member

I know it's late, but I wanted this out there for someone else to get this same problem. I lived in the early years and has found a solution. The problem I had was that the screen just blacked out, but was still active. Declare ...

Go to Control Panel and remove the power options. Click "Change Settings" A plan for the management of the power that you are using (for rescue or the balance of power). Click "Change advanced power settings. " Expand "Processor Power Management. " Change the minimum and maximum processor state to be 100%. Thing fixed once and for all. I'm sure the battery is concerned, but the screen does not go black on you.