Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Guard problem with Windows 98

PC Guard problem with Windows 98

I. Patstone

I installed PC Guard from the Blueyonder website & found when I clicked on a
link on a website or in an email Internet Explorer freezes, it is as if
there is a pop up blocker, however I never activated the blocker. I have
uninstalled PC Guard & tried reinstalling Internet Explorer nothing has
solved this problem.

After installing PC Guard when I reboot I get the following message: Cannot
find a device file
that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The windows
registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file
no longer exists.
If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
application using its uninstall or setup program.
If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.

freetdi.vxd

Press a key to continue

When I press a key the message is shown again with
"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Freedom.VxD Press a key" at the bottom of the message.
When I press a key Windows loads as normal.

Any help & advice greatly appreciated.

docmill

"I. Patstone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:F74Se.1179$(E-Mail Removed):

> I installed PC Guard from the Blueyonder website & found when I
> clicked on a link on a website or in an email Internet Explorer
> freezes, it is as if there is a pop up blocker, however I never
> activated the blocker. I have uninstalled PC Guard & tried
> reinstalling Internet Explorer nothing has solved this problem.
>
> After installing PC Guard when I reboot I get the following message:
> Cannot find a device file
> that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The
> windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but
> the device file no longer exists.
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device
> file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
>
> freetdi.vxd
>
> Press a key to continue
>
> When I press a key the message is shown again with
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Freedom.VxD Press a key" at the bottom of the
> message. When I press a key Windows loads as normal.
>
> Any help & advice greatly appreciated.

Boot up in DOS and run SCANREG /fix then SCANREG /opt

Then start Windows in safe mode and edit the system.ini file in
C:\Windows to get rid of the reference to the freetdi.vxd.

Or when you hold down the F8 key use the option to load drivers one at a
time and say no to the freetdi.vxd. That should get you back into full
windows.

--
**************SEND ME A LINK******************
Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

caffracer

Hello mate - I've got the same problem with trying to click on links
etc., after installing PC Guard. I spent about an hour talking to the
Blueyonder tech. support people, who eventually ran completely out of
ideas and advised me to go to Windows Updates & see if they had
anything that could help!

Any advice on how to restore the ability to click on links would be
greatly appreciated . . .

I. Patstone wrote:
> I installed PC Guard from the Blueyonder website & found when I clicked on a
> link on a website or in an email Internet Explorer freezes, it is as if
> there is a pop up blocker, however I never activated the blocker. I have
> uninstalled PC Guard & tried reinstalling Internet Explorer nothing has
> solved this problem.
>
> After installing PC Guard when I reboot I get the following message: Cannot
> find a device file
> that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The windows
> registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file
> no longer exists.
> If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated
> application using its uninstall or setup program.
> If you still want to use the application associated with this device file,
> try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
>
> freetdi.vxd
>
> Press a key to continue
>
> When I press a key the message is shown again with
> "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Freedom.VxD Press a key" at the bottom of the message.
> When I press a key Windows loads as normal.
>
> Any help & advice greatly appreciated.

chloe1 chloe1 is offline
Junior Member

Having signed up to Virgin Broadband and having no option but to install PC Guard at the same time, I decided to uninstall PC Guard as it was interfering with everything I did and I was happier with my previous virus control.

I un-installed in the usual way, but was left with Freedom which Windows kept trying to install and caused even more problems-I could not use my e-mail and internet most of the time, it slowed everything else down & wouldn't let me shut down until it was ready.

Most of the comments I have seen about PC Guard say to get rid of it - easier said than done.

I tried all sorts of suggestions of things that might help: not happy about messing about with anything in dos as I am not familiar with it, tried system restore, checked virgin's website re: PC Guard, which was just a load of answers to easy problems, tried re-installing PC Guard from the virgin disc and online just so that I would have some kind of control back over my pc, but it would not re-install and nothing I did helped.

I finally found this link:

http://kb.virgin.freedom.net/index.p...d=331&catId=13

I have used it and it does seem to have removed PC guard and Freedom completely, although I have done this very recently so only time will tell-shame it wasn't easier to find through the virgin website! (several weeks on - still no problems)

Hopefully it may help others out there who are experiencing simular problems.

Last edited by chloe1; 09-20-2007 at 04:21 PM..