Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard Drive Problems

Hard Drive Problems

Mike Easter

Jimbob wrote:
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy.

I think something went wrong in that process, either the floppy or
following instructions.

> But when i
> boot with it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive
> isn't being found?

Maybe the floppy is faulty or maybe something went wrong in the creation
or booting sequence; but it isn't because the hdd isn't being found at
this point. The boot from floppy should work with no hdd.

The instructions^1 are to create the floppy by executing the dowloaded
..exe in a Win environment, then to *boot* with that floppy created with
'create floppy'. The userguide doesn't describe problems with a
missing command interpreter.

^1 http://snipurl.com/f7ro snurled link to maxtor powermax page with
link to .pdf userguide there

I would make myself another floppy and *boot* with it. Where 'boot with
it' means to *boot* from floppy, not execute some program on the floppy
from a win or dos environment.

--
Mike Easter

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Jimbob wrote:
> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
> recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to work.
> I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.
>
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i boot with
> it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't being

Get a new hard drive. Dump the old one.

Mike Easter

Rgr wrote:
> Jimbob wrote:

>> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't
>> get recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for
>> it to work. I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was
>> told to get Powermax.

That powermax helps if there's warranty involved and for the 'fun' of
the diagnostic effort.

> Get a new hard drive. Dump the old one.

Yep. I 'spect that controller is dying. While it is still alive,
salvaging data and making for a convenient transition to the new drive
is in order.

--
Mike Easter

striker

Try checking the power cable to the hard drive, mine comes loose sometimes
and I have to plug it back in.

"Jimbob" <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
> recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to
> work.
> I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.
>
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i boot
> with
> it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't
> being
> found?
>
> AHA
>
> --
> A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Fido

Looks like you're living in the future..
"Jimbob" <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
> recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to
> work.
> I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.
>
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i boot
> with
> it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't
> being
> found?
>
> AHA
>
> --
> A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

John Holmes

Jimbob blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't
> get recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it
> to work. I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to
> get Powermax.
>
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i
> boot with it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't
> being found?
>
> AHA
>
> --
> A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Check your timezone, you're poasting from the future. As a bogus, your
drives will start working again because of the timestamp written in the
bootsector.

--
Your mother was a politically incorrect fraudster who prostituted herself
in an igloo.

John

Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more likely a
power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I bet it will do the
same, or try yours in another PC.

"Jimbob" <richard.(REMOVE)burkinshaw@(REMOVE)gmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been having problems with my Maxtor h/d for a while. It doesn't get
> recognised when booting up, and takes around 10 - 20 resets for it to
> work.
> I posted about this in this n/g a while back and was told to get Powermax.
>
> I followed the instructions to create it onto a floppy. But when i boot
> with
> it, i get the following:
>
> --
> Starting Caldera DR-DOS
>
> HIMEM.SYS 2.34
>
> Bad or missing command interpreter
> Please enter a valid filename (e.g. C:\command.com)
> --
>
> Is the floppy faulty, or is it not working because the harddrive isn't
> being
> found?
>
> AHA
>
> --
> A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Jimbob

John Holmes blabbered back:

> Check your timezone, you're poasting from the future. As a bogus, your
> drives will start working again because of the timestamp written in
> the bootsector.

Oopsy

--

John wrote:
> Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more
> likely a power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I
> bet it will do the same, or try yours in another PC.

Seems it may be the power cable. I twiddled with it when it wasn't working,
then rebooted and it worked.

--
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

John Holmes

Jimbob blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> John wrote:
>> Disable "Quick Boot" in your BIOS, and all will be ok. It is more
>> likely a power supply or motherboard fault. Try another HDD, but I
>> bet it will do the same, or try yours in another PC.

> Seems it may be the power cable. I twiddled with it when it wasn't
> working, then rebooted and it worked.
>
> --
> A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

See? You changed your timezone and now it works!

--
Your mother was an aroused swamp thing who used to practice the old Jedi
mind trick in an old sewage works.