Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sharing internet connection, pc and mac, over airport express... problems....

sharing internet connection, pc and mac, over airport express... problems....

iamthespam@gmail.com

Hi,

I have a powerbook working fine through wireless on my Airport Express.

I am trying to set up a windows XP laptop with wireless to share the
same internet connection.

The XP machine can see my airport express but it needs a password and I

can't figure out which one it is needing. The error messsage I get on
the XP machine when trying to enter the password is this,

"The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

I've got passwords coming out of my yang and don't know which one to
enter. Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!

Hector Polector.

Duane Arnold

> "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
> or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

It has to do with the wireless encryprtion keys I think.

long

http://www.google.com/search?q=The+n...+be+40bits+or+
104bits+depending+on+your&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

short

http://tinyurl.com/bavv7

You can look at the 3rd one in the list *Wireless Security*.

Google is your friend.

Duane

ITSO azionista

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:13:46 -0700, iamthespam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a powerbook working fine through wireless on my Airport Express.
>

> I am trying to set up a windows XP laptop with wireless to share the
> same internet connection.
>
> The XP machine can see my airport express but it needs a password and I
>
> can't figure out which one it is needing. The error messsage I get on
> the XP machine when trying to enter the password is this,
>
> "The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your
> network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii character
> or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."
>
> I've got passwords coming out of my yang and don't know which one to
> enter. Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!
>
> Hector Polector.

Is WEP enabled on your Airport Express? If not, make sure the Wireless
network settings on the Windows computer is not trying to connect using
WEP encryption.

--
The only easy day was yesterday.

Mitch

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Any help is appreciated as to where to find this on my mac!

You may not have set up any password.

In Applications > Utilities
there are applications to help you setup and administer Airport
settings. You are looking for security or encryption or login settings
(Don't know the name because I use a third-party brand.)

If there is no security set up for the network, then you need to know
how to answer Windows' question without a password -- maybe just by
leaving it blank?