Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dvd dosent work but cd does ?

dvd dosent work but cd does ?

Maurice Byrne

my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or there
abouts .

is there a driver for most dvd s ?

the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
yes it is a dvd drive

Alexander Rogge

> the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .

What is the drive manufacturer? Are you using commercial DVD-ROM or
DVD-R/W media? Some DVD drives cannot read DVD-RWs.

aleX

Maurice Byrne wrote:
> my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or there
> abouts .
>
> is there a driver for most dvd s ?
>
> the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
> yes it is a dvd drive

I've got a few old PC's and I've found that I need at least an 800MHz
processor to watch a DVD properly. I can play them on a 500MHz, but it
resembles a slide show. I doubt very much your PC is powerful enough to
watch them. Maybe someone will say it's possible with a minimal linux
install and software player, but I doubt it.. I'll be interested too if
anyone can help with a solution.

Maurice Byrne

the pc came with a dvd rom so it should work. done a re install recently.
will check model and get back
news:df7rkh$3r0$(E-Mail Removed)...

aleX wrote:
> Maurice Byrne wrote:
>
>> my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or
>> there abouts .
>>
>> is there a driver for most dvd s ?
>>
>> the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
>> yes it is a dvd drive

> I've got a few old PC's and I've found that I need at least an 800MHz
> processor to watch a DVD properly. I can play them on a 500MHz, but it
> resembles a slide show. I doubt very much your PC is powerful enough to
> watch them. Maybe someone will say it's possible with a minimal linux
> install and software player, but I doubt it.. I'll be interested too if
> anyone can help with a solution.

Thought you meant DVD films, ah well, yes you should be able to read
data dvds, though my experience is using win98 second edition. Don't
recall ever having to add drivers, maybe W98se or my NERO program added
them?

Blown

You need a program that will play dvd's "should have come with drive" to get
the proper dvd codec to play that format. At one time you could by the
codec. now????? give it a try.
"Maurice Byrne" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1cKRe.5103$(E-Mail Removed)...
> my pc is running win 98 and is a few years old probally a p 2 366 or
> there abouts .
>
> is there a driver for most dvd s ?
>
> the drive plays cd s fine but wont play dvd s .
> yes it is a dvd drive

Help..Internet is connected/dosent work look4hope General Computer Support 0 10-08-2006 02:04 AM
Curl dosent in my c++ app dosent seem to be working in apache cgi dannyarcher@gmail.com C++ 1 11-01-2005 01:34 PM
RMI dosent work!! flashback Java 1 02-18-2005 08:09 AM
Session_end dosent work! Metallica ASP .Net 1 09-21-2004 06:29 PM
Laptop power light flashes and dosent switch on N_I_A_L_L Computer Support 1 01-11-2004 02:29 PM

Advertisments