Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > urgent - pls help

urgent - pls help

anna

Hi

I am NOT technical...that is why this question...I apologize if is
sounds stupid.

We have Comcast broadband internet service now .. for 2 Desktops and 2
laptops.

Of these, 1 desktop and the 2 laptops are used using Netgear Wireless
equipment.

Currently ...we have a Comcast/ Scientic Atlanta Modem and a Netgear
wireless router.

Now

we want to change to SBC Yahoo DSL...

can we use the same equipment that we have been using with Comcast
or

will we need to get new equipment.

If not, what equipment will we have to get ?

I am assuming that with DSL we can continue to use the same desktops
and laptops wirelessly.

Pls help

Thanks in advance
Anna

ftran999

"anna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I am NOT technical...that is why this question...I apologize if is
> sounds stupid.
>

> We have Comcast broadband internet service now .. for 2 Desktops and 2
> laptops.
>
> Of these, 1 desktop and the 2 laptops are used using Netgear Wireless
> equipment.
>

> Currently ...we have a Comcast/ Scientic Atlanta Modem and a Netgear
> wireless router.
>

> Now
>
> we want to change to SBC Yahoo DSL...
>
> can we use the same equipment that we have been using with Comcast
> or
>
> will we need to get new equipment.

From your post it sounds like Comcast provided you with your modem. If I'm
correct about that than I'm sure they'll want it back after you drop them.
Even if you own the modem outright, you will need a different modem for DSL
than cable. Other than that I don't see a problem using your current router
and wireless equipment though you may need to change some settings.