Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > CD-RW shows up as CD-ROM drive

CD-RW shows up as CD-ROM drive

Mikester71

I have a LG CD-RW drive on my computer along with a Creative CD-ROM
drive. When I re-installed Win98SE, it shows both drives okay, but both
as CD-ROM drives. I loaded Adaptec DirectCD on my computer and it said
that it couldn't find a CD-RW drive on my computer.

Why does the LG burner not show up as a CD-RW unit on my computer? They
both work okay for listening to CD's or playing games and I have them
set as master and slave drive on their own ide cable. How do I make the
LG unit show up as a burner?

Thanks in advance,
Mike

old jon

"Mikester71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a LG CD-RW drive on my computer along with a Creative CD-ROM
> drive. When I re-installed Win98SE, it shows both drives okay, but both
> as CD-ROM drives. I loaded Adaptec DirectCD on my computer and it said
> that it couldn't find a CD-RW drive on my computer.
>
> Why does the LG burner not show up as a CD-RW unit on my computer? They
> both work okay for listening to CD's or playing games and I have them
> set as master and slave drive on their own ide cable. How do I make the
> LG unit show up as a burner?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

Have you checked in Device Manager, for any errors ?.
Delete the LG in DM. restart computer, and let windows re-find it.
Or uninstall Adaptec software and re-install it.
best wishes..OJ

Ingeborg

"Mikester71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:1125586473.212957.287160
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I have a LG CD-RW drive on my computer along with a Creative CD-ROM
> drive. When I re-installed Win98SE, it shows both drives okay, but both
> as CD-ROM drives. I loaded Adaptec DirectCD on my computer and it said
> that it couldn't find a CD-RW drive on my computer.
>
> Why does the LG burner not show up as a CD-RW unit on my computer? They
> both work okay for listening to CD's or playing games and I have them
> set as master and slave drive on their own ide cable. How do I make the
> LG unit show up as a burner?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Mike

W98 doesn't know about CDRW's. It only knows CDROM. So W98 won't show up a
CDRW. In device manager you can see the vendors ID string, which could or
could not contain CDRW.

The burner software should recognize the burner, but if the software is too
old it can fail for newer drives. Try to update DirectCD.

Trax

Install Force ASPI http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
--
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Mikester71

Already tried all that with no luck. Couldn't install newer Adaptec
because it won't work with Win98SE. Tried my older Adaptec 4 Deluxe
Edition and that is what couldn't detect it.

Thanks anyways,
Mike

Mikester71

Couldn't update due to Win98SE still being used. Said it needed WinXP
or something for Roxio 7.5. It does show up in Device Manager as a LG
CD-RW drive, but when I put a blank CD-R in, it doesn't recognize it as
such.

Thanks,
Mike

Mikester71

Thanks Trax. Will give that a try.

Mike

PC

"Mikester71" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Already tried all that with no luck. Couldn't install newer Adaptec
> because it won't work with Win98SE. Tried my older Adaptec 4 Deluxe
> Edition and that is what couldn't detect it.
>
> Thanks anyways,
> Mike

Mike

Most bundled software is tied to the drive it came with.

Did the 'older' Adaptec 4 come with another drive?

If so the older Adaptec4 will not recognise your burner because it is
looking for the drive it was bundled with, and only that drive.

If you contact Adaptec you will most likely say 'buy the full version' (if 4
is still available) decidedly 'unhelpful'

I think tying the software to a particular model of drive stinks.

And of course you have a CD Burner that works fine with the supplied
software and you add (say) a DVD burner with it's own bundled software....
Yep you get to use either the CD burner OR the DVD burner by swapping the
software but not both.

Sigh but then I guess that's the American way!

If Packet (InCD, EasyCD etc) is not critical try CD Burner Pro XP (Freeware)
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Cheers
Paul

Mikester71

The older Adaptec 4 Deluxe Edition (full verison which I bought) came
with my drive. The one I am trying to recognize is on my friends
computer. His system came with an OEM bundled version or something, but
it would not load all the way. It kept crashing about half-way through.
So I tried my 4 Deluxe Edition that I am not using on my present system
and it loaded okay, but Direct CD could not detect a CD-RW drive on his
system. As I also stated, Roxio 7.5 would not load because he has
Win98 on his system.

His CD-RW drive worked fine before his system crashed and I reloaded
Win98SE on his machine.

Thanks,
Mike