Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > monitor woes

monitor woes

KM

Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.

Monitor? or P.C.?

I have checked the cables and connections to the best of my ability
and all seems well.

The way I understand it is that the monitor must receive a signal
from the pc to turn on. If not, the monitor will stay in standby or
suspend mode right??

I sure could use your help.

Thanks,

Kyle

Evan Platt

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 01:00:44 GMT, KM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
>green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
>
>Monitor? or P.C.?
>
>I have checked the cables and connections to the best of my ability
>and all seems well.
>
> The way I understand it is that the monitor must receive a signal
>from the pc to turn on. If not, the monitor will stay in standby or
>suspend mode right??

Correct. Could be a monitor or could be video card.

Best way to make sure is whichever is easier - try a different monitor
on computer, or the monitor on another computer.

Walter Mautner

KM wrote:

> Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
> green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
>
> Monitor? or P.C.?

If you know how to access your computers bios screen, do this. Any monitor
and graphic card should take that resolution and frequency. If the monitor
still fails, either it is defective or the graphic card.

*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

Rick Merrill

KM wrote:
> Having trouble with a pc monitor. When you trun the monitor on the
> green light stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes yellow.
>
> Monitor? or P.C.?
>
> I have checked the cables and connections to the best of my ability
> and all seems well.

Look INSIDE the connector(s) and make sure all the pins are the same
length. If the 'sync' signal pin is too short it may just need to be
pulled out to be the same as the other pins. This happens once in a while.

> The way I understand it is that the monitor must receive a signal
> from the pc to turn on. If not, the monitor will stay in standby or
> suspend mode right??

Right.

> I sure could use your help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kyle

KM

Tried a second monitor and the same happens. This pc is a 2 yr old
Compaq presario with a built in video card on the mother board. Can I
simply buy a stand alone video card and go from there? Will the pc
recognize it without getting into the bios?

Thanks again,
Kyle

KM wrote:
> Tried a second monitor and the same happens.

Same cable???

Evan Platt

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:51:52 -0400, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Same cable???

I don't recall the last time I've seen a monitor where the cable
wasn't part of the monitor..

Rick Merrill

Evan Platt wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 17:51:52 -0400, Rick Merrill
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Same cable???

> I don't recall the last time I've seen a monitor where the cable
> wasn't part of the monitor..

Mercy, I guess it isn't done, but you still need to look at the
pins on the cable.

Walter Mautner

KM wrote:

> Tried a second monitor and the same happens. This pc is a 2 yr old
> Compaq presario with a built in video card on the mother board. Can I
> simply buy a stand alone video card and go from there? Will the pc
> recognize it without getting into the bios?

Does it have a agp slot? If it has, it will most probably recognize a video
card you inserted. But there is a good (rather bad) chance your mobo got
serious other problems (too) and is about to die completely, so better
borrow a graphic card to try out.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.12-mm2[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]

KM

Yea the monitor has a "hard wired" cable. The 2nd monitor had the same
issues. I am going to take the suggestion to borrow a video card. I
will give it a shot this weekend.

I appreciate the help and support.

thanks!!

Kyle