Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how to use the command prompt?

how to use the command prompt?

sally

Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem

When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
file."

Blinky the Shark

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~nsw/ench250/dostutor.htm

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

aleX

sally wrote:
> Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
> to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
> directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
> Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
>
> When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file."

Good advice to have a read of that page posted in the first response.

To go backwards through directories type

cd ..

When you get back to C:\ you can go forward to the program files and
dorgem folders.

Are you using Win98? If so you'll have to use attenuated versions of
folder names containing spaces. So you would type

cd prog~1\dorgem (or something similar to this - experiment!)

aleX

aleX wrote:

> cd prog~1\dorgem (or something similar to this - experiment!)

Apologies, it's:

cd progra~1

Trax

sally <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
|>to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
|>directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
|>Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem

Create a Command Prompt shortcut to your desktop - right click and
properties. In the start in: put in- C:\Program Files\Dorgem

Now when you open the CMD window from the shortcut ,it will open in
that directory.

--

Third world bomb squad
http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms...dBombSquad.wmv

DTDoyle

At the prompt type in
cd c:\program files\dorgem

cd stands for "change directory"
once your in the directory type in "dir" to make sure the file your
looking for is there. If the directory spills past your screen size
type in "dir/w/p" for directory, wide, page at a time

sally wrote:

> Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
> to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
> directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
> Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
>
> When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file."

Buffalo

"sally" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) l.net...
> Can someone please explain how I can use the command prompt? I am trying
> to use Dorgem with multiple cameras. But I have no idea how to change
> directories with the command prompt. The default is C:\Documents and
> Settings\Sally> How can I change this to C:\Program Files\Dorgem
>
> When I type that in the command prompt it says "'C:\Program' is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file."

DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.
If it is longer than eight characters, you type in the first 6 characters and
then add a ~ and a 1.
If you have more directories starting with program (or whatever the name is)
and it is longer than 8 characters, they are each given a number that you will
need to put right after the ~ sign.
EX: progra~1 progra~2

If you want to change drive letters, just type the drive letter and put a :
after it and press Enter.
Ex: D: and press Enter.
If you type cd\ and press Enter, you will go back to the C:\ prompt. That is
where you want to start.
Then:
At that prompt, type cd Progra~1 and press Enter.
That should get you to the C'\progra~1 dir.
Now type cd Dorgem and press Enter and you should now be at
C\Progra~1\Dorgem.
To see what's in the Dorgem directory, just type dir/p and press Enter.
OR
After you get to the C:\ prompt, just type cd Progra~1\Dorgem and press
Enter.

cd means 'change directory', I believe.

cd.. takes off the end item in the line (ex:C:\Windows\System\Command if you
do a cd.. and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows\System)

cd... takes off the end two items (ex: C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a
cd... and press Enter, you will end up with C:\Windows)

cd\ takes it all the way back to the drive letter (ex:
C:\Windows\System\Command if you do a cd\ and press Enter, you will end up
with C:\ )

For more info, use the link provided by Blinky.
Buffalo

John Holmes

Buffalo blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

You ****ing ****.

--
Your mother was a rebellious cheat who liked to do it with sailors in a
closely guarded military establishment.

Evan Platt

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
<eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.

Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
remember).

Add a quote around it:

C:\>cd "Program Files"

C:\Program Files>

Sunny

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:50:35 -0600, "Buffalo"
> <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>DOS only will take names up to 8 characters.

> Not true on Win 2000/XP (and possibly 98, and maybe ME, can't
> remember).

Agree with that When I typed :
xpsp2.exe /integrate:c: \xp (it worked)