Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to delete file

Unable to delete file

pcbutts1

Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right click
the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is locked then
a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file or folder.
Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work then
try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:df1gt1$lsv$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> "WormWood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy wrote:
>>>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>>>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>>>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>>> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>>> TIA
>>>

>> Where is this file and how did you know about it and that it should be
>> deleted? Any other relevant information?
>>

> I have it on my back up drive and was just doing a bit of tidying up. I
> used the remove
> programmes option via control panel, but there is still an icon for
> "prime.exe" in the folder showing as
> an application with a size of 1041 kb.
>
> If you right click on the icon, within properties it shows a size of "0"
> and disk space "0".
>
> Left clicking gets the error message "windows cannot find the file
> ......\prime.exe. Make sure you typed the correct name and try again".

Tappy Lappy

"old jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rZZQe.3199$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:df16gv$co2$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>> I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>> TIA

> Had a file like this once. Admittedly it was on a CD-RW (it`s still
> media). Checked to see if the file was read-only (no). So I copied All the
> data off it, to a hard drive, and tried to reformat it. sadly the disk was
> Scrap.
> I`d suggest, if you can, copy the stuff off the drive. then run the hard
> drive manufacturers disc tools on it. It might be on it`s way out.
> That would be all your stuff gone.
> best wishes..OJ

Thanks John, but when I try to copy I get "File not found" !!

Tappy Lappy

news:09_Qe.30$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Install this program called unlocker after it is installed then right
> click the file or folder and select Unlocker. If the file or folder is
> locked then a window will appear with a list of processes locking the file
> or folder. Select the locks and click Unlock and you are done.
> http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/unlocker170.exe If that does not work
> then try Killbox http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/killbox.zip
>

> --

Thanks for the help, but neither work, the sodding thing is still there!!

I might just have to put up with it, but it's just annoying knowing the
flaming
thing is there and being unable to do anything with it.

Willy

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>TIA

go here
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html

get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files

Tappy Lappy

"Willy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 08:48:32 +0000 (UTC), "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy
> (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to delete a file, prime.exe, and although it shows on the
>>desktop and is found when using the search facility I get the message
>>"Cannot delete prime.exe. Cannot find the specified file".
>>I am using XP home edition, is there any way to get rid of it?
>>TIA

> go here
> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
>
> get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files

Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its just
that it doesn't appear to
exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.

Trax

"Tappy Lappy" <Tappy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>"Willy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

|>> go here
|>> http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/moveonboot.html
|>>
|>> get this small free prog I have used it to delete locked files
|>>>

|>Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its just
|>that it doesn't appear to
|>exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.

Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)

--

Third world bomb squad
http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms...dBombSquad.wmv

Tappy Lappy

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> |>"Willy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> |>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> the

> |>Thanks Willy, tried it but still no use. The file is not locked, its
> just
> |>that it doesn't appear to
> |>exist, yet the icon shows up on the desktop, and also in DOS.
>
> Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
> will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
> name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)
>
> --

If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls see
my reply to
Brian).
The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in this
format "UTILIT~1" but
when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe cannot
be found.
AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

Trax

|>> just
|>>
|>> Then in DOS type in: DIR /X within the same dir as your file, this
|>> will give you it's 8.3 file name - delete the file using that file
|>> name, (ie: avg70f~1.exe)

|>> --
|>If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls see
|>my reply to
|>Brian).
|>The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in this
|>format "UTILIT~1" but
|>when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe cannot
|>be found.
|>AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

I use a program called CMFILER for problems like this, I can't find a
download of it without registration. It's a Norton Commander type
program. Used to be my Explorer under DOS.

It does run under XP and below.

It's an option, I know it will delete your file.

--

Trax <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>I use a program called CMFILER for problems like this, I can't find a
|>download of it without registration.

http://mail.nfbnet.org/files/disk/CMF536.ZIP
from
http://www.nfbnet.org/download/disk.htm
(CMfiler.com, run it from dos if you go this route)
--

Third world bomb squad
http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms...dBombSquad.wmv

Tappy Lappy

"Trax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> |>If by a 8.3 file name you mean one with the ~, it does not have one (Pls
> see
> |>my reply to
> |>Brian).
> |>The folder which contains it, ie utilities, does have a file name in
> this
> |>format "UTILIT~1" but
> |>when I try to delete the folder I get the message *******\prime.exe
> cannot
> |>be found.
> |>AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH
>
> I use a program called CMFILER for problems like this, I can't find a
> download of it without registration. It's a Norton Commander type
> program. Used to be my Explorer under DOS.
>
> It does run under XP and below.
>
> It's an option, I know it will delete your file.
>
> --
>
> Third world bomb squad
> http://67.50.205.164/images/firearms...dBombSquad.wmv

Thanks for everything, I will try to find it and give it a go.