Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IPods with Windows ME ?

Reply
Thread Tools

IPods with Windows ME ?

 
 
medad@heresiam.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
thought that someone here must know the answer ...
Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
cannot get them to play !

Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .

Thanks for any help
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
> cannot get them to play !
>
> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
> or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .
>
> Thanks for any help


ME is crap. Upgrade to XP Home. Seriously.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Knackered
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-27-2005

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
> cannot get them to play !
>
> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
> or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .
>
> Thanks for any help


MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
the dreadful WinME.
http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3...r_software.htm


How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
Knackered wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
>> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
>> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
>> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
>> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
>> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
>> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
>> cannot get them to play !
>>
>> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows
>> ME or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
>> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately
>> . Thanks for any help

>
> MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
> The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
> Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
> As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
> other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
> Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
> the dreadful WinME.
> http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
> http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3...r_software.htm
>
>
> How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
> USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
> Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
> with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
> If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
> you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
> You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
> at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
> Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
> use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.


If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:
Windows system requirements
a.. PC with USB 2.0 or FireWire port or USB 2.0 or FireWire card
b.. Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or
Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
c.. iTunes 4.7 or later (included on iPod CD)

http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/specs.html

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Phoenix
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
Try this: http://www.ephpod.com/



<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
> cannot get them to play !
>
> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows ME
> or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately .
>
> Thanks for any help



 
Reply With Quote
 
Knackered
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Lb7Qe.18266$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Knackered wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
>>> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
>>> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
>>> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
>>> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
>>> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
>>> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
>>> cannot get them to play !
>>>
>>> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows
>>> ME or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of MP3
>>> player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite adequately
>>> . Thanks for any help

>>
>> MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
>> The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
>> Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
>> As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
>> other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
>> Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
>> the dreadful WinME.
>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3...r_software.htm
>>
>>
>> How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
>> USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
>> Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
>> with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
>> If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
>> you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
>> You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
>> at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
>> Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
>> use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.

>
> If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:


Hi TT
It does indeed function with other software house's applications.
Originally, the Itunes software was the Only app that could rip
from a Cd directly to the Ipod via firewire without first ripping
to HD, thats why I stated in my first response for OP to copy
to folder, but there is now software that can also do a "direct
rip".
When connected via firewire to XP/2000, it is legacy support
so XP will recognise it as an external firewire device - exactly
same as a DV cam, or Miglia's and Cannopus MAC firewire
devices - And Lacies external firewire HD's, Windows will recognise
them, but of course PC's have for better selection of software than
a Mac.
An MP3 is an MP3, a data format that for playback requires exactly
the same decoding regardless if it's a Mac, an Ipod or an 8- year
old Win98, all that is required is compliant software!
If the original poster has a firewire card installed on their WinME
machine, there is a host of ME compliant software for ripping
MP3's, and it will chug it along that firewire to whatever is
connected on the other end - Ipod, Digital tape, external HD etc.


> Windows system requirements
> a.. PC with USB 2.0 or FireWire port or USB 2.0 or FireWire card
> b.. Windows 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, or Windows XP Home or
> Professional with Service Pack 2 or later
> c.. iTunes 4.7 or later (included on iPod CD)
>
> http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/specs.html
>
> --
> Indecision is the key to flexibility.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
Knackered wrote:
> "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Lb7Qe.18266$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Knackered wrote:
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> My apologies if this is not the place to post this question but
>>>> thought that someone here must know the answer ...
>>>> Cannot get my daughters new mini IPod to work with Windows ME .
>>>> Someone told her that the software that came with it needs to be
>>>> loaded on a machine running Windoze 2000 or XP so she did this on a
>>>> friends pc . Also to use Winamp + plug in to install files etc.
>>>> She has done all this but tho the mp3 files show up on the Ipod she
>>>> cannot get them to play !
>>>>
>>>> Is there a workaround for getting things up & running under Windows
>>>> ME or does she have to give up and change it for another brand of
>>>> MP3 player. Shame as ME suits all the rest of our needs quite
>>>> adequately . Thanks for any help
>>>
>>> MP3 is a data format - NOT an audio format like CDa or WMA.
>>> The Operating system is not relevent to MP3 files.
>>> Itunes software is only compatiable with WinXP or 2000.
>>> As you are running the dire WinME, you will have to use
>>> other MP3 ripping software that is ME compliant.
>>> Below a link to free MP3 ripping software compliant with
>>> the dreadful WinME.
>>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/mp3_converter_freeware.htm
>>> http://www.mp3-converter.com/faq/mp3...r_software.htm
>>>
>>>
>>> How are you connecting the Ipod to your PC? USB or Firewire?
>>> USB is an established but not too stable data transfer bus.
>>> Firewire is an ultra wideband pure digital signal transfer
>>> with 30 times the accuracy of USB.
>>> If you have a Firewire port on your PC, that is the connection
>>> you should use to the excellent little Ipod.
>>> You use the ME compliant software to rip music from your CD's
>>> at a data rate of your choice, and save to a folder on your PC.
>>> Connect the Ipod to preffrably the firewire port - or USB, and
>>> use the software to transfer the MP3 files to the Ipod.

>>
>> If I remember correctly, iPod will not work with any other software:

>
> Hi TT
> It does indeed function with other software house's applications.
> Originally, the Itunes software was the Only app that could rip
> from a Cd directly to the Ipod via firewire without first ripping
> to HD,


Ahh - that's what I must have been remembering. (The 'rememberer' function
is wearing out fast and frequently is found to be out-of-sync slightly <g>)

> thats why I stated in my first response for OP to copy
> to folder, but there is now software that can also do a "direct
> rip".
> When connected via firewire to XP/2000, it is legacy support
> so XP will recognise it as an external firewire device - exactly
> same as a DV cam, or Miglia's and Cannopus MAC firewire
> devices - And Lacies external firewire HD's, Windows will recognise
> them, but of course PC's have for better selection of software than
> a Mac.
> An MP3 is an MP3, a data format that for playback requires exactly
> the same decoding regardless if it's a Mac, an Ipod or an 8- year
> old Win98, all that is required is compliant software!
> If the original poster has a firewire card installed on their WinME
> machine, there is a host of ME compliant software for ripping
> MP3's, and it will chug it along that firewire to whatever is
> connected on the other end - Ipod, Digital tape, external HD etc.
>

I've not bothered with portable MP3 players. I'm at the point in life that
when I want to get away - bike ride, walk, fishing, camping, etc., that
*includes* getting away from from the noises of life. But at home I use
Musicmatch - I bet if I read the help files it would also be compatible with
the iPods.



 
Reply With Quote
 
medad@heresiam.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
Many thanks for all your replies ..... I have been running Windows ME
for a number of years on a 3 machine LAN with not too many problems.
At least no security ones that others have had with XP or 2000 !
However I do regular maintenance etc. The only problem now is some
peripherals work faster on USB 2 ports which ME doesn't support. My PC
has them but my daughters is USB 1 and it's she who wants to use IPod
or some other equal MP3 player.
Will the issue of USB port compatibility be a problem or do I have to
install firewire card etc. ?

Cheers
 
Reply With Quote
 
Toolman Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-28-2005
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Many thanks for all your replies ..... I have been running Windows ME
> for a number of years on a 3 machine LAN with not too many problems.
> At least no security ones that others have had with XP or 2000 !


HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! What are you smoking? ME is even more full of security
holes than ANY NT based system. Geez!

> However I do regular maintenance etc. The only problem now is some
> peripherals work faster on USB 2 ports which ME doesn't support.


Yes it does. Get the right drivers for the ports. I've even put USB 2 on
W98se.

> My PC
> has them but my daughters is USB 1 and it's she who wants to use IPod
> or some other equal MP3 player.
> Will the issue of USB port compatibility be a problem or do I have to
> install firewire card etc. ?


Nope. No problem. Except for speed. USB 1.x is way slower. You can get an
add-on card that does both firewire and USB 2.

--
Indecision is the key to flexibility.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPods for Free simfaucher@gmail.com Cisco 0 09-30-2005 10:17 PM
This site gives away ipods really, only needs 5 referals! matthew Computer Support 3 06-16-2005 11:42 PM
This site gives away ipods,It works i got one! matthew Computer Support 2 06-16-2005 06:51 AM
Laptops, iPods, camcoders etcc.... vikaslaxmi C++ 0 02-16-2005 01:44 PM



Advertisments