Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE v6 on XP-Pro-SP2 won't render .mht documents - why?

IE v6 on XP-Pro-SP2 won't render .mht documents - why?

hummingbird

Help appreciated...
I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
..html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
into multiple folders etc.

Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.

I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
overall knowledge of what's wrong.

Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?

It's a complete mystery...

Harrison

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Help appreciated...
>I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
>keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
>.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
>into multiple folders etc.
>
>Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
>my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
>nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
>
>I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
>overall knowledge of what's wrong.
>
>Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
>turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
>
>It's a complete mystery...

Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
location of the archive?

Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

hummingbird

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Help appreciated...
>>I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
>>keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
>>.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
>>into multiple folders etc.
>>
>>Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
>>my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
>>nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
>>
>>I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
>>overall knowledge of what's wrong.
>>
>>Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
>>turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
>>
>>It's a complete mystery...

>Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
>location of the archive?
>
>Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded
Any more ideas?

Harrison

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
>
>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:38:00 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Help appreciated...
>>>I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
>>>keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
>>>.html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
>>>into multiple folders etc.
>>>
>>>Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
>>>my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
>>>nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
>>>
>>>I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
>>>overall knowledge of what's wrong.
>>>
>>>Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
>>>turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
>>>
>>>It's a complete mystery...

>>Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
>>location of the archive?
>>
>>Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

>Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded
>Any more ideas?

It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

hummingbird

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>>>Did you try opening IE and clicking <File> <Open>, then browsing to the
>>>location of the archive?
>>>
>>>Did you try saving a new archive from IE and then opening it?

>>Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded
>>Any more ideas?

>It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
>Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
installation procedures.

Harrison

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:21:57 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...
>
>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 22:53:41 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:49:34 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
>>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>>>Yes, I've tried both these things. Neither succeeded
>>>Any more ideas?

>>It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
>>Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

>I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
>installation procedures.

I knew you didn't use it from the headers.
I was hoping you'd removed it in lieu of Agent or another client.

Sorry - I'm stuck on this one.

Rob Parsons

I am making a guess but perhaps this may help

On my machine (win2k) the is the following registry value for Internet
Explorer

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML Editor

(both HKCU and HKLM)

Here is my contents of that node

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell\edit]
@="&Edit"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell\edit\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office10\\WINWORD.EXE\" /n /dde"
"command"=hex(7):43,00,38,00,34,00,44,00,56,00,6e, 00,2d,00,7d,00,66,00,28,00
,\

59,00,52,00,5d,00,65,00,41,00,52,00,36,00,2e,00,6a ,00,69,00,57,00,4f,00,52,\

00,44,00,46,00,69,00,6c,00,65,00,73,00,3e,00,4c,00 ,26,00,72,00,66,00,55,00,\

6d,00,57,00,2e,00,63,00,47,00,2e,00,65,00,25,00,66 ,00,49,00,34,00,47,00,7d,\
00,6a,00,64,00,20,00,2f,00,6e,00,20,00,2f,00,64,00 ,64,00,65,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec]
@="[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen(\"%1\")]"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Application]
@="WinWord"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default MHTML
Editor\shell\edit\ddeexec\Topic]
@="System"

"hummingbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help appreciated...
> I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
> keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
> .html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
> into multiple folders etc.
>
> Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
> my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
> nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
>
> I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
> overall knowledge of what's wrong.
>
> Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
> turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
>
> It's a complete mystery...

Jon Kennedy

See Symptom 7 in this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887797

Or see this article for possible help:

Images may appear as blank boxes when you view a Web archive (.mht) file in
Windows XP with Service Pack 2

Jon R. Kennedy
Charlotte, NC, USA

"hummingbird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Help appreciated...
> I save a lot of webpages in the form of x.mht for reading later or
> keeping on my HDD etc. IE allows this as an alternative to saving in
> .html format which can be messy and often splits up the content
> into multiple folders etc.
>
> Since I've installed XP-Pro SP2, I cannot get IE (or Avant) to render
> my huge collection of .mht docs - IE/Avant just sit there and do
> nothing. I have the .mht file association set ok I think.
>
> I gather .mht stands for 'Mime HTML' but that doesn't add to my
> overall knowledge of what's wrong.
>
> Is there an XP Service which is needed for this? which maybe I've
> turned off? Is there some other setting I've not noticed?
>
> It's a complete mystery...

hummingbird

On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 19:53:40 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:21:57 +0100, hummingbird <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 18:03:18 -0400, Harrison <Harrison>
>> mysteriously appeared thru the usenet mist to inform us thus...

>>>It's tied to Outlook Express as well.
>>>Have you removed OE or altered it any way?

>>I don't actually use OE but it's installed as per SP2 basic
>>installation procedures.

>I knew you didn't use it from the headers.
>I was hoping you'd removed it in lieu of Agent or another client.
>
>Sorry - I'm stuck on this one.

Thanks anyway! Ideas were worthwhile.