Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Start up Programmes

Start up Programmes

michael.spikemike@gmail.com

Hi There
I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!

Thanks for the help

Michael

Chas

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi There
> I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
> it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
> Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
> www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
> my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
> them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
> all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
> was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Michael

Yes to Both Questions and configure your swap file on the fastest drive
chas

Harrison

On 26 Aug 2005 03:25:45 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi There
>I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
>it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
>Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
>www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
>my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
>them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
>all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
>was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!
>
>Thanks for the help
>
>Michael

Harrison

On 26 Aug 2005 03:25:45 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi There
>I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
>it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
>Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
>www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
>my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
>them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
>all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
>was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!
>
>Thanks for the help
>
>Michael

Move your Windows paging file to the non-system drive on the other IDE channel. Preferably, on its own partition at the
front of the drive.
Load your programs from one location.

It would also have helped if you would have posted your system specs.
XP will run slowly on a 700 MHz with 128 Mb RAM, but if you're running a 2 Hz with 512 or more, and it's still slow,
then you've got other problems.

michael.spikemike@gmail.com

Hi yes,sorry i should have included my specs...my sys comprises of a
1.3gb board, with 512 mb ram, running win xp

Michael

Trax

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

|>Hi There
|>I am trying to configure my computer so i can get the best speed out ot
|>it...I recently had Broadband internet installed, so need the like of a
|>Firewall(Zone Alarm), antivirus(at the moment use a free one from
|>www.download.com)and a pop up stopper,to come on as soon as i start up
|>my computer....now these seem to take ages to load in, but i do have
|>them installed in different hard drives....would it be quicker to keep
|>all of my "Startup" progs in one place...and would it be better if it
|>was on my "c" drive where windows is installed..!!

I had issues with ZoneAlarm on another system, it took forever to
load. Watch your system tray, if ZA is the last to show up as an icon,
go to a different version or program.

You can also disable themes and go with windows classic saves a lot of
CPU overhead.
--

http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf

Harrison

On 26 Aug 2005 06:34:22 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi yes,sorry i should have included my specs...my sys comprises of a
>1.3gb board, with 512 mb ram, running win xp
>
>Michael

Upgrading to 1024 RAM would help.
Also follow instructions regarding moving the swap (paging) file to the fastest disk.
If both drives are the same speed, move it to the non-system disk.

Try isolate the program causing the problems by disabling them in msconfig and the re-enable one by one.