Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drive install

Hard drive install

michael.spikemike@gmail.com

Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
file tables..???
have i got any or all of this wrong...
would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????

Thanks inadvance

Michael

South Shields

Donald

yes
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
> changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
> previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
> be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
> if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
> only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
> file tables..???
> have i got any or all of this wrong...
> would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????
>
> Thanks inadvance
>
> Michael
>
> South Shields

Harrison

On 22 Aug 2005 12:25:06 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
>changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
>previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
>be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
>if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
>only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
>file tables..???
>have i got any or all of this wrong...
>would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????
>
>Thanks inadvance
>
>Michael
>
>South Shields

Let XP format the new drive with NTFS.
If you are keeping the 20 gb drives, convert them to NTFS as well.
Use convert.exe as described in the last section of this article.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx

Addressing the size issues, please see here:
http://tinyurl.com/css33

philo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
> changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
> previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
> be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
> if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
> only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
> file tables..???
> have i got any or all of this wrong...
> would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????

NTFS is the preferred way to install XP...
so that's the thing to do.
a 120gig drive partitioned as 116g is normal

Ron Martell

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi Iused to run Win 98, I had 2 x 20gb hard drives installed, i then
>changed to Win XP, today i am installing a 120gb hard drive, the
>previous drives have been fat 32, whereas Win xp wants my new drive to
>be in NTSC(or whateva it is called)..is my system going to be alright
>if file table are different..??? also when installing my new hard drive
>only 116gb is being shown...surely not all of the 4gb will be taken for
>file tables..???
>have i got any or all of this wrong...
>would it be best for my sytem if all of the harddrives were NTSC..????
>
>Thanks inadvance

Windows XP will not format hard drives larger than 32 gb for FAT32.
Anything larger has to be NTFS or it has to be partitioned and
formatted by some other means (e.g. a Windows Me or Windows 98 SE boot
disk).

Windows XP will, however, use FAT32 partitions larger than 32 gb
without problems.

The difference between the manufacturer's rated capacity for your hard
drive and the value reported by Windows is because the manufacturer
rates the capacity using decimal values (1 gigabyte = 1,000,000,000
bytes) whereas Windows reports disk and file sizes in terms of binary
gigabytes (1 gigabyte = 10^30 bytes = 1,073,741,824 bytes).

You can mix and match FAT32 and NTFS drives as you see fit on Windows
XP and it will not affect performance or accessibility. You can also
convert the FAT32 drives to NTFS using the CONVERT utility that comes
with Windows XP. However read the article by the late MVP Alex Nichol
at http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm before doing so as there is
a cluster size issue that could be a concern.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

michael.spikemike@gmail.com

Thanks for all of the replies..
very helpful...will be messing around with tables 2nite...so ecpect
more questions in the morning.. ha ha
Regards
Michael