Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP SCSI detection

Windows XP SCSI detection

Chris

I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a windowsXP
workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI slot and
Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is the external
DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried installing the card and
drive in a Windows2000 machine with the same results. I would think
this should be a plug and play device. I've done searches for drivers
and can't find anything.

I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of the
drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and then the
converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.

I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If this
doesn't work I'm ready to give up.

Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

Vanguard

SCSI is Plug-and-Play? Not whenever I've used it. The BIOS in the SCSI
controller card will only hard fixed drives: if you don't have any fixed
drives attached to it then you can disable its BIOS. Other device types
will still require a driver so the OS knows the interface to that device.
SCSI is the transport, not the device definition. Same goes for an
IDE-connected tape drive: yeah, the OS has its own IDE controller drivers
but it only knows how to handle fixed drives on that transport interface and
you will still need to install drivers that define a tape drive attached to
that interface.

Apparently Windows doesn't include drivers for the Compaq DLT4000 tape drive
(no version of Windows has ever had the driver for my old Seagate Hornet
tape drive). You'll need to get the driver installed for whatever tape
drive you are using. Since HP bought out Compaq, have you looked there for
a device driver? I did a search there under their support & driver page
which came up with 2 matches, but I don't know which would apply to you
since you didn't mention the number of tape slots in yours. Of the one that
I looked at, it only listed a "firmware bundle", so I don't know if that
includes a device driver or if the tape drive attempts to present itself as
a fixed disk to the SCSI controller.

When you boot, and after the POST but before Windows (or any other OS)
loads, you should see a message showing that the SCSI card's BIOS is loaded
and what devices it detected? That has nothing to do with drivers or an OS
but whether or not the SCSI card even sees your external device. Is your
tape drive listed in its list of discovered devices? If not, you might have
to enter its setup screens to make sure that settings are configured to
recognize the type of SCSI device you are attaching.

Did you check that you have selected a unique ID for the tape device (if it
doesn't have the auto-select feature)?

In the BIOS setup for the SCSI card itself, is its external interface
enabled? The Adaptec SCSI card that I have will do auto-termination, so if
the external interface is not enabled then the bus is terminated on the
card, but you would need to disable the card-end termination and enable the
external interface.

E-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#LAH" to Subject.
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a windowsXP
> workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI slot and
> Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is the external
> DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried installing the card and
> drive in a Windows2000 machine with the same results. I would think
> this should be a plug and play device. I've done searches for drivers
> and can't find anything.
>
> I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of the
> drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and then the
> converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.
>
> I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If this
> doesn't work I'm ready to give up.
>
> Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
> obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

Miles Ahead

On 22 Aug 2005 08:37:36 -0700, "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
>obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

You might try posting on comp.os.linux.hardware
Those guys tend to do more with SCSI than Windows
people. And they use x86 PCs so if it's a termination
issue it should be the same regardless of OS.

why?

On 22 Aug 2005 08:37:36 -0700, Chris wrote:

>I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a windowsXP

If you are going to ask , in 24HSHD or another group.

Model numbers help.

You do have the card / dlt manuals? Usually there are different type of
setups shown.

>workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI slot and

So does make / model of card.

>Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is the external
>DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried installing the card and
>drive in a Windows2000 machine with the same results. I would think
>this should be a plug and play device. I've done searches for drivers

SCSI PnP, you can't be serious.

>and can't find anything.

Even a simple Win NT4 AHA2940 / 4mm DAT requires , termination , SCSI
drivers (for the card) and the 4mm DAT driver (for the device) to be
installed.

>I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of the
>drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and then the
>converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.

Adapters are handy if you know what you are doing

>I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If this
>doesn't work I'm ready to give up.

What sort of cable from the card to the drive.

It's been a while since I played with SCSI and SCSI 3 was only just out.

Normally issues revolved around termpower , active / passive
termination.

Auto termination on the card (terminator on the device) or not with
termination on both ends.

>Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the most
>obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

IIRC , you can try www.google.com there are quite a few.

Me

What's in a Name?

"Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I am trying to use a Compaq DLT4000 external DLT drive with a
> windowsXP workstation. I have a SCSI adapter installed into a PCI
> slot and Windows sees that fine. Attached to the SCSI adapter is
> the external DLT. Windows does not see that. I've tried
> installing the card and drive in a Windows2000 machine with the
> same results. I would think this should be a plug and play
> device. I've done searches for drivers and can't find anything.
>
> I am hoping the problem is improper termination. On the back of
> the drive I have a 50pin high density to 26-pin converter, and
> then the converter has a 26-pin terminator attached to it.
>
> I just ordered a pure SCSI 3 50 pin high density terminator. If
> this doesn't work I'm ready to give up.
>
> Any other suggestions? I am far from a SCSI expert so even the
> most obvious suggestions would be appreciated.

When your machine boots you should get an option to go into the scsi
settings.
Plug the termination into the end of the cable.
-max
--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/