Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > MSN virus

MSN virus

Rich

Help!!!!!

Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no reason to
doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for many years)
and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same link to other
contacts. The link is one to a site called
www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe

This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc

The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error message.

If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in the
title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan horse
called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

I have scanned my system many times to no avail

Any ideas VERY gratefully received

Fred

Rich, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "picks fights in pubs;
slobbers when kissing; canít stop wanking and has more wet dreams than
anybody else; likes to call his penis his 'pussy-****er'", bubbled:

> Help!

Send an SOS.

> Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
> reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for
> many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same
> link to other contacts.

What is there to talk about anyway?

> The link is one to a site called
> www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe This is only
> done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc The side effect is that
> it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

Chatting is fun.

> When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error
> message.

Try harder.

> If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in
> the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

Try harder.

> I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan
> horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

I only got my first computer yesterday so I can't be of much help there.

> However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

Wait a week or two and see what happens.

> I have scanned my system many times to no avail Any ideas VERY
> gratefully received.

I've had it; I'm leaving.

Rich

Why thank you Fred...now go and play with the traffic on a busy road.....

"Fred" <"fred"@soc.med.sweaty.armpits> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) okers...
Rich, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "picks fights in pubs;
slobbers when kissing; can't stop wanking and has more wet dreams than
anybody else; likes to call his penis his 'pussy-****er'", bubbled:

> Help!

Send an SOS.

> Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
> reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for
> many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same
> link to other contacts.

What is there to talk about anyway?

> The link is one to a site called
> www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe This is only
> done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc The side effect is that
> it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.

Chatting is fun.

> When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error
> message.

Try harder.

> If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in
> the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.

Try harder.

> I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan
> horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.

I only got my first computer yesterday so I can't be of much help there.

> However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.

Wait a week or two and see what happens.

> I have scanned my system many times to no avail Any ideas VERY
> gratefully received.

I've had it; I'm leaving.

Fred

Rich, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "likes camels for some
odd reason; too sensitive", remonstrated:

> Why thank you Fred.

You owe me five bucks.

> now go and play with the traffic on a busy road.

Go yourself.

Rich

Find a gun...load it...put the barrel between your eyes....facing you of
course...pull the trigger...youll see a blinding flash and the world will be
a better place

"Fred" <"fred"@alt.sex.wanted.spread-open> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) le.plumpers...
> Rich, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "likes camels for some
> odd reason; too sensitive", remonstrated:
>
>> Why thank you Fred.

> You owe me five bucks.
>
>> now go and play with the traffic on a busy road.

> Go yourself.

Fred

Rich, <(E-Mail Removed)>, whose name means "loud-mouthed; arrogant
****", squalled:

> Find a gun.

Audiatur et altera pars. You are holding unstated assumptions, Rich.

> load it...put the barrel between your eyes.

My pizza is gone.

> facing you of course.

I have absolutely no idea what your post is all about, and I'm afraid to dig
any deeper.

> pull the trigger.

The man you ran over just died.

> youll see a blinding flash and the world will be a better place.

Better than chocolate.

What's in a Name?

"Rich" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:dec8em$elr$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com:

> Help!!!!!
>
> Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no
> reason to doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known
> to me for many years) and I now have a virus on msn that keeps
> sending out the same link to other contacts. The link is one to a
> site called www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe
>
> This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc
>
> The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus
> completely.
>
> When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an
> error message.
>
> If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos
> etc in the title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.
>
> I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a
> trojan horse called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using
> AVG.
>
> However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still
> frozen.
>
> I have scanned my system many times to no avail
>
> Any ideas VERY gratefully received

Check your hosts file.
From the helpdesk of David Lipman-

"Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --

It is a self-extracting ZIP file that contains the Kixtart Script
Interpreter {
http://kixtart.org Kixtart is CareWare } three batch files, five
Kixtart scripts, one Link
(.LNK) file, a PDF instruction file and two utilities; UNZIP.EXE and
WGET.EXE. It will
simplify the process of using; Sophos, Trend and McAfee Anti Virus
Command Line Scanners to
remove
viruses, Trojans and various other malware.

C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT -- { or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:
\AV-CLS}
This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed
in Normal Mode. This
way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web
site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Exit the menu and Reboot the
PC.

You can choose to go to each menu item and just download the needed
files or you can
download the files and perform a scan in Normal Mode. Once you have
downloaded the files
needed for each scanner you want to use, you should reboot the PC
into Safe Mode [F8 key
during boot] and re-run the menu again and choose which scanner you
want to run in Safe
Mode. It is suggested to run the scanners in both Safe Mode and
Normal Mode.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
comprehensive PDF help
file.

Execute; Multi_AV.exe { Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-
CLS }
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow
WGET.EXE to go through your
FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor related files."

-max

--
Playing Nice on Usenet:
My Pages: http://home.neo.rr.com/manna4u/

MrGrumpy

Try the online scan at www.symantec.com
Download update and run both Adaware and SpyBot

news:dec8em$elr$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

> Help!!!!!
>
> Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no reason

> doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for many

years)
> and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same link to

other
> contacts. The link is one to a site called
> www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe
>
> This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc
>
> The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.
>
> When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error

message.

> If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in

the
> title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.
>
> I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan horse
> called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.
>
> However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.
>
> I have scanned my system many times to no avail
>
> Any ideas VERY gratefully received

Plato

Rich wrote:

disable system restore, then follow below:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/232.htm#2

> Help!!!!!
>
> Foolishly I clicked a link on an MSN conversation window (I had no reason to
> doubt it was genuine as the other party has been known to me for many years)
> and I now have a virus on msn that keeps sending out the same link to other
> contacts. The link is one to a site called
> www.warezddls.com/funny-stuff/download3849.exe
>
> This is only done on chat windows, and doesnt affect email etc
>
> The side effect is that it has frozen my Norton Anti Virus completely.
>
> When I try to start NAV etc it wont open and comes up with an error message.
>
> If I try to go to any web page that has Symantec, Mcafee, Sophos etc in the
> title I get "this page cannot be displayed" warning.
>
> I downloaded the free AVG virus protection and it did find a trojan horse
> called "downloader generic.bxp" which i removed using AVG.
>
> However the virus still persists using MSN and my NAV is still frozen.
>
> I have scanned my system many times to no avail
>
> Any ideas VERY gratefully received

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Princess Antonomasia

Rich writes:
> I now have a virus ... the side effect is that it has frozen
> my Norton Anti Virus.

Hi Rich,

I am qualified -- according to the moderator of
24hour****up.idiotdesk, K. -- to answer this technical
question (see the section "HELPING OTHERS WHEN YOU CANNOT
FIX YOUR OWN ISSUES," in the ***OFFICIAL FAQ***).

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f2959c5074fa0e

The reason I am replying is because I have had a similar
experience with antivirus freezing. Being technically inept,
I use a pet geek, and I sent my pet geek on a quest to find
the answer to why the antivirus would not run. The reason
the antivirus would not load was because another program was
running which actively blocked it. Geek probed the
computer with a tool called HiJackThis.

By running HiJackThis (which makes a log file of all running
processes, and then by posting the log file to a website:

http://www.hijackthis.de

Geek was able to winnow all running programs into known safe
processes, and unknown processes. If, you are lucky, you
will have one or two running processes that are unknown. One
of these will be your nasty.

You can eliminate each unknown process by turning it off,
and seeing whether you can load up your AV program.