Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > newsgroup headers

newsgroup headers

PSitsMagic

Why is it that it shows headers going back over a week in this news group
but when i go onto another (alt.magic) i get a small amount of headers only
going back a few days? Clicking on the 'get next headers' doesnt do anything
in the magic group but does in this one.

any help appreciated,

thx

Mike Easter

PSitsMagic wrote:
> Why is it that it shows headers going back over a week in this news
> group but when i go onto another (alt.magic) i get a small amount of
> headers only going back a few days? Clicking on the 'get next
> headers' doesnt do anything in the magic group but does in this one.

How many headers are available for you to download depends on how many
posts there average per day and how many days retention the newsserver
has.

Different newsservers have different retentions and different newsgroups
have different averages of posts per day.

You are reading and posting to a blueyonder newsserver and the admin of
that newsserver will make decisions on how many days of retention to
have for text newsgroups, for example, which is likely to be different
for binaries.

This newsgroup had about 450 posts yesterday, whereas the alt.magic
newsgroup had a 'few' posts per day last week. That is going to show a
lot of difference in how many headers and messages are going to be
accessible for the two different text groups.

news.readfreenews.net has about 73000 messages available in this group,
2000 in alt.magic. Your provider's newsserver, like my provider's,
likely has considerably less. A news admin might decide to handle
retention differently than a number of days or binaries differently than
text or some groups differently than others.

--
Mike Easter

PSitsMagic

Thank you for your help and explaination

Paul

news:43098ca6$0$44696$(E-Mail Removed) eenews.net...